Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Anyone work with both SD series cameras and pana TZs? I have an SD800 and am very pleased with IQ, and love the menus and handling, but would just like more reach (combined with wide angle), so I'm looking basically for the SD800 with at least a 28mm starting point and 5X+ zoom. The upcoming 890 looks interesting, but starts at 35mm equivalent.

Looking at the panasonic TZ3 and TZ5, specs indicated it might be a good fit, and I can handle the NR in higher ISO, but some samples I've seen at lower ISO (200 and below) still look processed to me. e.g. http://api.photoshop.com/home_6183c...be-px-assets/05d61c3de70a437ca63633d9b3fd2143

Anyone ever directly compare and use the TZ to the SD, and can comment on IQ for both? Also, movie mode quality on both? TZ movie mode specs should put it ahead, but samples I've found on the internet show the SD as better (e.g. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1033&thread=27542577)

I appreciate comments about other camers (Fuji, Nikon, G9 etc.) but I've already researched a bunch, and am just looking for feedback specifically on TZ vs. SD, if anyone has worked with both.

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
I love Canon's SD Cameras, but the miniscule optical zoom is really a drawback.

I have done some research and haven't found much evidence supporting buying anything above the new 1100IS (some even say the older 1000 takes better pictures, but I need IS). The G9's specs look nice, of course, but the cam is relatively gigantic.

I have both the Canon 1100IS and Panasonic DMC TZ5 waiting for me at home (I'm out of the country). I'm hoping I can live with the larger size of the TZ5...if that's the case, I'll return the 1100 and say goodbye to Canon for now (for P&S's, at least). Currently I'm shooting with a SD750 which is essentially the same cam as the 1000 but with a bigger screen; the narrow angled lens, the weak zoom, and the lack of IS are reasons enough for me to return it.

3-4X Optical Zoom just doesn't cut it for most situations. Plus, many of Canon's SD cams have 35-38mm lenses; combine that with the 3X optical zoom and you're really limited in terms of framing a lot of shots.

(By the way, the new Panasonic DMC FX500 looks nice as it seems to be quite a bit slimmer than the TZ5, though it 'only' has a 5X optical zoom. With it's smaller zoom, I can't see how its $100 price difference from the TZ5 is justified, though...)

Cheers.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Please do feedback once you try the TZ5. I have the G9, but find the bulk off-putting. I still carry my SD800 everywhere. G9 is only for shots where I can put it down, and down have to always carry it.

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2008
canon versus pana

i have been shopping for a camera, and have pretty much decided on either the canon 1100 or the pana tz5. does anyone have experience on both relative to exposure delay and picture quality. i like pana's zoom, but would be willing to give it up if the canon were that much better in those two areas. any help would be appreciated.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
i have been shopping for a camera, and have pretty much decided on either the canon 1100 or the pana tz5. does anyone have experience on both relative to exposure delay and picture quality. i like pana's zoom, but would be willing to give it up if the canon were that much better in those two areas. any help would be appreciated.

They are not wholly comparable cameras. SD1100 -- super pocket size, no manual control capability, very limited zoom, very good Image Quality in full light, but it will struggle in low light.

TZ5 - HD video movies, from wide angle to super zoom, a bit more control than the SD1100 (for example, has a minimum shutter speed setting) good pictures in bright light (SD1100 is better, though), but in low light TZ5 uses agressive noise reduction which "smears" shadow details. Some don't mind it, some do. Also, the TZ5 is bigger than the SD1100, though it can still go in a pocket.

I had the TZ5 and G9 and settled instead on Canon a720. Didn't like the image quality on the TZ5, didn't like the size of the 9. a720 has great full light pics, full manual controls, same issues in low light as the SD1100, but it has 6X zoom. Prices under $200. The only issue for me with the a720 is the flash recycle is sloooooow.

One other note -- in terms of practical shot speed, I found my SD800 to be a bit quicker than my TZ5. Also, there were definately times where I use an optical view finder, which is missing on the TZ5

Good luck on your search.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
Anyone ever directly compare and use the TZ to the SD, and can comment on IQ for both?.

I couldn't decide which camera to buy -- the TZ4/5, SD850 or A720. So I bought all 3 to try them out (I told the shop my plan and they were fine with it -- honestly does a college aged camera shop worker usually care anyway?) I already have a S5, but need a smaller camera. Image quality is VERY similar between the 3. VERY. I was surprised how close they were compared to the Fujis and Olympus I've tried. The TZs have a more dynamic out of camera image (slight increase in saturation, contrast and sharpening) but you can tweak the Canon's "my color" settings to look the same. I do think the SD may have a very very slight edge with the focus lock, but none were as fast as the S5. What I like about the TZ is a broader range (hard to beat 28-280!) and solid feel. The SD felt a bit cheap (not as cheap as the A720). In the end I kept the TZ and returned the others.

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
That's funny. I returned the G9 and TZ5 and got an a720. I don't love any of them (G9 was best IQ, but didn't like the size). I figure at the a720 price, that's a disposable cam, and I'll see what comes out in the fall.

p.s. -- love your sig line.

CMD is me

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2006
That's funny. I returned the G9 and TZ5 and got an a720. I don't love any of them (G9 was best IQ, but didn't like the size). I figure at the a720 price, that's a disposable cam, and I'll see what comes out in the fall.

p.s. -- love your sig line.

Thanks.... I agree with the 720. I found one advertised for only $179 and the camera shop matched the price. For that I figured it was worth a try. I feels really cheap to me -- like a disposable, BUT it actually took as good, if not the better, shots of the 3. The biggest issue I had was the size. I needed a slimmer body to fit in my cargo shorts. The TZ is JUST small enough for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.