Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Hello,
I am getting ready to buy my first digital camera. The two finalists are both Canon, the SD800 and the SD950. After looking at them in person, it turns out the optical viewfinder is a requirement, which these both have. Now the differences as I see them:
The SD 800 has 7 MP, a 28mm wide-angle, and is more of an "auto-shoot" camera. It also has a metal/plastic body. It's $300.
The SD 950 has 12 MP, a 35mm wide-angle, and has more manual settings, if wanted. It also has a titanium body. It's $400.
As this is my first digital camera purchase, any recommendations/suggestions as to which one to get? I mostly would use the camera for vacation/get-together situations, but I also camp so nature shots would not be out of the question.
I won't hold anyone to their opinions, but any info given will be much appreciated. Thanks,
Morod

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
28mm vs. 35mm wide angle question.

I hate to answer my own post, but here are the questions I would most like answered:
28mm vs. 35mm wide angle: What is the difference? Is the 950 worth disqualifying due to the 35mm limitation? Would I even notice the difference between 28 and 35? Why is 28mm better?
Any help understanding why one may be better than the other would be great. Thanks again,
Morod

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
Well, I have the SD800 and love it! I used the wide angle more than I thought I would.

I also just bought the G9 thinking it would be a better do-all sorta camera, and I still prefer the 800.

I also take it with me on my motorcycle trips, 4wheeling trips, and beat the heck out of it. Its all scratched up, and yet still takes great pics.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks for the info, iBallz.
The SD800 is the way I was leaning. I was really hoping to learn the difference between the 28mm and 35mm lenses, but I expect the 28 would be used more. Glad to hear you are happy with yours and it does sound like it will take a bit of hard use.
Morod

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I have the SD800 and the wide angle is a must. I don't normally shoot wide stuff, and sometimes I find myself wanting even wider than the camera will shoot. 35mm is almost getting into portrait range.

Also, 7MP is MORE than enough. All other factors the same, I would still get the lower MP camera. Slap another 5 million pixels in the same amount of space on a sensor and you get lots of noise.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
Thanks also to you Grimace!
I have heard that with P&S cameras, above 6-8MP the sensor will induce noise into the picture. Thank you for confirming this. I'm quite sure that, for now at least, I will not be blowing up any pictures past 8x10 size.
Now to figure out how to pay for the new playtoy....:D
Morod

Morod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2008
And the winner is:

The Canon Powershot SD870 IS. I know I didn't even list it among the other two as it didn't have an optical viewfinder. Oh well, I'll learn to do without one.
Again, thanks to all for your help! This is my first foray into digital photography and, frankly, if I hadn't bought this wonderful iMac, I probably would not have bought the digital camera.
Morod

iBallz

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2007
So. Utah
The Canon Powershot SD870 IS. I know I didn't even list it among the other two as it didn't have an optical viewfinder. Oh well, I'll learn to do without one.
Again, thanks to all for your help! This is my first foray into digital photography and, frankly, if I hadn't bought this wonderful iMac, I probably would not have bought the digital camera.
Morod

Thats still cool! I've had several, and liked the Canons the best, not so much size or functions, as much as just great picture quality, (and of course the Vivid colors are cool!)

Now you go out and have fun with that and soon will find yourself into a new DSLR like I just did!:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.