Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Okay, here is the question. I am ready to buy a Canon 50D. I have priced them and the best price I have found comes from:

1. Newegg, there price is $1199.

Then I found another company on the web offering the same camera for 599.

2. shopdigitaldirect.com there price is $599.

Here is my question, how can they offer the same camera that much cheaper than everybody else?

What am I missing?

Thanks for your input

macsrules

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2008
Thanks for the link, I should have done that to start with. From what I read they rip you off by sending incomplete items and then charging you for the rest of the parts.

taytho

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2005
KC, MO
Okay, here is the question. I am ready to buy a Canon 50D. I have priced them and the best price I have found comes from:

1. Newegg, there price is $1199.

Then I found another company on the web offering the same camera for 599.

2. shopdigitaldirect.com there price is $599.

Here is my question, how can they offer the same camera that much cheaper than everybody else?

What am I missing?

Thanks for your input

as folks have said it is basically a too good to be true situation... you are really gambling there. The last two canon SLRs i bought were online from buydig.com
i have had no issues.

i got my canon 50D w 28-105 canon lens bundle for $1244

That price included tax, shipping and a 4g CF card. i am/was very happy with it all. quick shipping too.

Narcosynthesis

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2008
check out reseller ratings before ordering from anywhere like that.

As you pretty much guessed yourself, selling the camera for that low a price pretty much always indicates a scam going on - to think about it logically, how can they make money selling it for that much? If a small reseller could get stock from Canon at a low enough price to sell it for that amount and still make a profit, how come some of the bigger companies like Amazon are not selling it that low?

The way the scam normally works is that for the price quoted you get the camera, and that's pretty much it - everything else in the box like batteries and chargers are stripped - you often hear of them calling you up to confirm the order, and 'pushing' all these extras on you (which you pretty much need to have a working camera) so in the end the great deal disappears in a puff of smoke.
After all of that, you are generally pretty lucky to actually get anything delivered after they have taken your money...

As with any buying online, and especially for something expensive like a camera, stick to a well known company with a good reputation - places like Amazon or B&H and the likes.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
B&H and Adorama are perhaps the most reliable. Newegg is reliable, too. I buy computer stuff from "newegg," and camera stuff from B&H.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.