Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jplg842

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Hey everyone
im getting Canon Rebel XSi today. i was wondering if i should install its software, that comes with the camera?
or there is really no need.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
My wife and I now have 3 cannon cameras only once did I install their software. Most of it is not very good. It is meant for some one that has absolutely no photo imaging software. Both iPhoto and and Aperture 2.0 even Apple's image capture, should have no problem with the raw output from your Rebel XSi. which I believe is .cr2 raw

For great photo editing for both raw and .jpeg, just use iphoto. Until you can get aperture or photoshop elements. Photoshop elements is pretty sweet for 79 to 99 bucks.

alansmallen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
From what I read is that the only good part of the software pack is the live view software. You can hook up your computer to the camera and see what the camera sees, then you can capture remotely.

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
I bought the XSi (450d) earlier this week (Tuesday) :)

I did install Canon's software, but will almost certainly end up removing it as
I haven't needed to use it. Aperture handles things perfectly well.

Marky

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
From what I read is that the only good part of the software pack is the live view software. You can hook up your computer to the camera and see what the camera sees, then you can capture remotely.

That's true. Also, one can use the software to erase the card in the camera, or to load photos from the computer to the card among a few other things, which includes mapping and erasing dust marks (from the sensor) on the photos. I haven't used this feature, but it's there.

irishfiregirrl

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2008
Inland So Cal, USA
don't waste your time...

I have never used software Nikon or Canon software through the years with work. Previous posters are correct with iPhoto (or better yet Adobe photo Shop). I format my card inside my camera after unloading images through a disk reader. Allegedly the cards last longer...

seenew

macrumors 68000
Dec 1, 2005
Brooklyn
If they still include the pano stitching tools, then I'd install that. It seemed to work for me in the past..

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
What you choose to install and use depends alot on your photographic knowledge but ultimately it depends on your shooting style, pre-processing desires and workflow. Different users will have different needs, that's why there are many options available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.