Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hingyfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
What I ended up with is Panasonic Lumix ZS3. I was also considering was the Canon xs200 is.
It also has 12x. Both also shoot HD vid but the Lumix does so in
stereo and allows optical zooming in the video mode while the Canon
does not. I want to shoot my band to put stuff on iTunes only I will
watch.
Still when I went to the store (biggest in NYV) I thought I'd give the Canon a final chance.
Both are supposed to be fragile with the video screen of the Lumix
prone to breaking and the Canon having a problem with "lens errors."
All along i wanted the Canon. Ive had several and they way they dial
up the colors appeals to us amateurs. The Panny literally pales in
comparison. Plus the Canon is more Mac friendly.
I was looking at the Canon, getting the soft sell and thinking "hey
this is nice." I made the mistake of asking how reliable they are and
the guy said "very." at the same time I realized i couldn't shut it
off. It wouldn't retract. The guy looked at it and said, "Hmm, lens
error."
Since the screen on the Panasonic did not break in my hands, i ended
up that one.
If you look on Amazon for the Canon, the first customer review is a ringing endorsment over the Panasonic. She amends her review though to add she has experienced the lens error. This is sad.
I made sure to get a lengthy warranty. I couldnt get a spare battery. Sold our world-wide.
I do have a Canon SLR but i need something pocketable for a trip.
This is my first post. I think im going to need help with this thing so isigned up!

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
The jpeg settings/processing defaults for the Panny are probably less vivid than the Canons, as a rule. These are things you can tweak to your own liking in the menu settings/image optimization. Just don't judge the "pop" of the images based on the little lcd on the back, but instead as you view them on a monitor, or print them. These things are all adjustable parameters.

I happen to like the little Panasonics, and after spending time with them, even the cheapest ones, have come to appreciate their way of doing things. Canons are generally good, but have not (for the most part) had wide enough lenses for me on the wide end. Also, most Canon p/s cameras did 4:3 video where all Panny's did 16:9 video format, even as an option for standard def. And the high-speed burst option (10 fps) for still shots (while at a reduced file size, still useful, especially for the web.) Anyway, it seems each company has a few tricks up their sleeves that can be useful... Good luck with your Panny...

Oh, BTW - I haven't experienced any Mac-related difficulties with my Lumix(s) and I don't even use the included software at all. But... a big "but..," the high-def video codecs (AVCHD lite for 720p) might be something that you need to work around by getting some third party plug in for Quicktime - but I haven't done any HD video editing on a Mac, yet. The AVCHD and AVCHD lite codecs created by Sony and Panasonic seem to be geared for Blu-Ray content creation, not DVD. You'll have to do a little research on this one, unless you don't mind doing SD video.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
I bought an SX200IS (£40 cashback certainly sweetened the deal), and I'm happy with it. It is used as a backup camera to my EOS 5D Mark II & 1D Mark III, or when I simply can't use a dSLR. I was tempted by Panasonic's offerings as well, as for compacts my opinion is that the two companies are by far and away the best.

I went for the Canon as it was cheaper, and does the job. I have little interest in video (so the lack of optical zoom isn't an issue), so as a good quality compact it ticked the boxes.

Oh, and it was in red. Definite win.

hingyfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
I made a huge mistake.

I made a huge mistake. i took the panasonic to the US Open today and it was a horror show. I just can't handle trying to use the screen as a viewfinder. and it was an overcast day!
THis was my first attempt at using a viewfinder-less camera - except for my Iphone - and it was demoralizing. I should have realized from using the iphone the screen is useless in daylight.
I used to shoot through my canon rebel at the Open and i loved it. I had a web page with tennis pics - particularly Martina Hingis, hence my screen name - and thought i had a real feel for it. Framing shots, getting an expression. Boy that's a far cry from shooting in to the crowd because you can't see what you're doing.
Even the shots that came out, and there were a few, looked Panasonic pale to me. I dont care if Canon is turning the colors up a bit, it looks better.
Im going to try to return the Panasonic and get a small Canon with a viewfinder for my upcoming trip to England. I dont need zoom for that. I have a Canon DSLR digital that doesnt get any use. If i am doind something specific that needs a zoom, like the open, i'll break it out. Im going back there Saturday, and if i am able to return the Panny, the Canon is coming along.
I am going to post a separate thread on which canon to buy.
Thanks!

hingyfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2009
Well my "choice" has turned out to be a full refund from B&H in NYC done with no problem. Now seeking something compact with a viewfinder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.