Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
I been having a fetish for the nikon d90 forever. I,m using the t1i, but i'm still within my 45 days to return items along with 0% restocking fee. I heard that the d90 would be better for me in the long run because i plan on starting a business and doing low light non-flash shooting. I also read that the d90 had a wireless flash sync, I also like how nikon lenses and hoods look on the lenses. How good is the quality of the 18-105 kit lens compared to the canon 55-255mm? I also plan on picking up the nikon 50mm 1.8 if i get this camera tomorrow.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I think if you're looking at that "walk-around" type of lens, the 16-85 is a better choice in terms of overall quality.

Comparing either to the 55-255 is not practical because they don't really overlap for most of the focal length. A better comparison is the Nikon 70-300 VR. Problem is, any comparison is going to suffer from peoples' innate preference of one system or the other. A lot of people really like the 70-300. Like any good quality non-pro lens, though, your best results will come from stopping it down somewhat.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
The Nikon is probably a better body (it's certainly a more expensive one). Nikon camera bodies are good at remote control of Nikon flash guns - this equivalent function could require an extra flash commander on the Canon.

If you're going to be doing portraiture, I don't think your money would be best spent on Nikon dedicated flash guns though. Generally a 2 to 4 head lighting setup for portraiture will not be using TTL/remote control - you'll be using mains-powered mono-blocks.

So I don't actually think that the flash control is a good reason to switch, given what you've said about your intentions.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
The Nikon is probably a better body (it's certainly a more expensive one). Nikon camera bodies are good at remote control of Nikon flash guns - this equivalent function could require an extra flash commander on the Canon.

If you're going to be doing portraiture, I don't think your money would be best spent on Nikon dedicated flash guns though. Generally a 2 to 4 head lighting setup for portraiture will not be using TTL/remote control - you'll be using mains-powered mono-blocks.

So I don't actually think that the flash control is a good reason to switch, given what you've said about your intentions.

Thanks man I decided to go with the canon t2i when it comes in bestbuy. I will only be giving up the canon 55-250mm lens :eek: to break even

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
Well Last night I to ordered the Nikon d90 and this morning I canceled the order cause I thought about how much I enjoyed my Canon t1i. The Canon t1i I returned earlier that day to bestbuy. Well this after I canceled my Nikon d90 I started to miss my t1i even more resulting into me calling bestbuy to see if they had any openbox T1i's in stock. The Guy on the phone said we don't have any used t1i's, but I did seen a Canon T2I. "LOL" The moment I heard that I started to drool because I had over 350 dollars in bestbuy gift certificates. Well i'm a new owner of the T2i and waiting until it charge so I can play with this baby. Thanks for all the help everyone especially "Firestarter" He told me it doesn't make sense to do it :D Well my 50mm 1.8 came in yesterday and I can't wait to see what it can do.

iSax1234

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2010
Virginia
glad your happy, the t2i is a great camera. I have a friend who is a videographer and has a Canon like XH1 hd or something along those lines, anyways it a very big and very nice camcorder. He also has a canon vixia and he recently bought the T2i. The T2i does amazing in lowlight compared to his 6k XH1 and he payed 900 for the T2i with kit lens and he just uses it for video of course he bought some lenses f/1.2 50 mm l series and a nice wide angle zoom. As well I have another friend who is waiting to pounce on the t2i body only whenever amazon gets them in stock. I keep telling him just go buy it from adorama so we can go shoot ( had my d5000 for a few weeks now) but he's waiting on amazon.

Anyways congrats post some pictures of your adventure with the t2i when you get a chance.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans
glad your happy, the t2i is a great camera. I have a friend who is a videographer and has a Canon like XH1 hd or something along those lines, anyways it a very big and very nice camcorder. He also has a canon vixia and he recently bought the T2i. The T2i does amazing in lowlight compared to his 6k XH1 and he payed 900 for the T2i with kit lens and he just uses it for video of course he bought some lenses f/1.2 50 mm l series and a nice wide angle zoom. As well I have another friend who is waiting to pounce on the t2i body only whenever amazon gets them in stock. I keep telling him just go buy it from adorama so we can go shoot ( had my d5000 for a few weeks now) but he's waiting on amazon.

Anyways congrats post some pictures of your adventure with the t2i when you get a chance.

Thanks man! Tomorrow when I get a chance I will try it out. I been playing with this remote that I bought for $2.45 shipped :D it works real good, so far I have notice that the video on this thing is real good. I bought a nifty 50 and can't wait to try it outside.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I think you made a very good choice. The reviews I've seen compare the picture quality to that of 7D. If that is indeed the case, your camera is indeed a pretty good deal. The D90 is a really great camera, but it is really due for a refresh.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
I think you made a very good choice. The reviews I've seen compare the picture quality to that of 7D. If that is indeed the case, your camera is indeed a pretty good deal. The D90 is a really great camera, but it is really due for a refresh.

I LOVE my D90.

blockburner28

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
New Orleans

Thanks man. Can't wait til ups bring my flash tomorrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.