Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Jobso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Looking around for a new case to travel with my gear (Canon T2i, Lenses, flash, etc. + 13" MacBook unibody). I primarily need something that is comfortable, and can easily be stored for air travel. A few reviews have pointed me towards the Kata Sensitivity http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/446476-REG/Kata_KT_A44V_Sensitivity_V_Backpack.html

Anyone have any experience with this case, or can recommend another "low-profile" style carrying case/backpack/messenger?

Thanks! :apple:

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
i have a fastpack 350 (LowePro) i just bought. It fits my 15" really well, as well as my camera gear

El Jobso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
@Abyssgh0st - The Karachi Outpost looks great, but unfortunately too $$ for me at the moment. I'm trying to keep the bag below $130 if possible.

@HBO-C - I really like the layout of the FastPack 350 but, but don't like the fact that the access flap is one piece. Did you ever consider the Tamrac Aero Speed 85? I'm liking that the quick access to the camera is off to the side, reducing the risk of other items falling out accidentally; but I have heard really good things about LowePro build quality.

HBOC

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2008
SLC
@Abyssgh0st - The Karachi Outpost looks great, but unfortunately too $$ for me at the moment. I'm trying to keep the bag below $130 if possible.

@HBO-C - I really like the layout of the FastPack 350 but, but don't like the fact that the access flap is one piece. Did you ever consider the Tamrac Aero Speed 85? I'm liking that the quick access to the camera is off to the side, reducing the risk of other items falling out accidentally; but I have heard really good things about LowePro build quality.

Well, i got the fastpack for mainly hiking. I have another backpack i can use for the MBP when i don't need my camera.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
I have the LowePro FastPack 250 and I'm really satisfied with the build quality. I've had it for over a year now, I use it every day (I always bring my camera to work just in case) and I can't say I see any signs of wear. It's usually fully loaded with a gripped camera with f/2.8 normal zoom, 90mm macro, 200mm, 50mm, 2x converter, flash and other small stuff ...
You have a direct access to the camera from the side opening, but if you want to change lenses you need to take the backpack off (unlike the LowePro FlipSide series). I don't see how anything would fall out accidentally though.
The top compartment is also not too small and I can fit a lot of stuff in there, a sweater or two USB 3.5" HDs with power supply, books ...

El Jobso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
@gnd - How is the bulk of the FastPack 250? Have you traveled with it (airlines)? I really like the spacing/compartments of the 250, but worry if it's too bulky once loaded up with the camera and laptop.

Anyone have any experience with the Kata DR-467?

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
@gnd - How is the bulk of the FastPack 250? Have you traveled with it (airlines)? I really like the spacing/compartments of the 250, but worry if it's too bulky once loaded up with the camera and laptop.

Whenever I traveled with it I took it onto the plane as a personal item and not as a carry-on, it's small enough for that. On transatlantic flights it fits in the over head compartment, but I never store it there, I don't trust other people to be careful enough. It does fit under the chair in front of you, but you have to push it in top first. On smaller planes, around Europe, it's the same story. One place where it doesn't fit for example is a bus overhead compartment. But not many bags fit in there. My bag is usually nicely loaded with lenses and whatnot but, at least to me, it doesn't seem too bulky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.