Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adonisadonis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Hello everyone, im planning to buy my first DSLR. I have a canon G9 however I don't like the skin tones as it is to "orangy" to my liking compared to my previous nikon coolpix 5700. I just want a nice color rendition regardless of brand. I just wonder if you have photos to compare the skin tones between nikon or canon DSLRs or any website to look at. replies are greatly appreciated. thanks.

Edge100

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2002
Where am I???
Hello everyone, im planning to buy my first DSLR. I have a canon G9 however I don't like the skin tones as it is to "orangy" to my liking compared to my previous nikon coolpix 5700. I just want a nice color rendition regardless of brand. I just wonder if you have photos to compare the skin tones between nikon or canon DSLRs or any website to look at. replies are greatly appreciated. thanks.

Shoot in RAW and process your own JPEGs. This way, you can get whatever skin tone you like.

If you insist on shooting JPEG, all DSLRs have different "modes" that allow you to customize the conversion that the camera is doing internally.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA

There's a wide, wide range of tones to skin- from pasty white to blueish black and what looks good for one doesn't always look good on another. None of the camera companies use the same sensors for all their cameras, and all sensors have a different color gamut as well. You can shoot raw and change things yourself, use camera profiling tools or you can adjust the color settings of the camera if it lets you. There are so many cameras out there that finding what you like can be difficult, but DPReview does have fair tests, and the sample images can be used to compare camera-to-camera how different colors are rendered.

Paul

adonisadonis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
Shoot in RAW and process your own JPEGs. This way, you can get whatever skin tone you like.

If you insist on shooting JPEG, all DSLRs have different "modes" that allow you to customize the conversion that the camera is doing internally.

thank you for the input and info. I have not tried raw as i'm only taking pictures of my kids however I will try your advice. thanks.

adonisadonis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
There's a wide, wide range of tones to skin- from pasty white to blueish black and what looks good for one doesn't always look good on another. None of the camera companies use the same sensors for all their cameras, and all sensors have a different color gamut as well. You can shoot raw and change things yourself, use camera profiling tools or you can adjust the color settings of the camera if it lets you. There are so many cameras out there that finding what you like can be difficult, but DPReview does have fair tests, and the sample images can be used to compare camera-to-camera how different colors are rendered.

Paul

thanks Paul. I greatly appreciated your reply. I'm just worried that i'm going to be disappointed with my purchase. however ill visit the website and play around in the store as well to check which camera gives the skin tone rendition that i like. thanks.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I think your problem is from oversaturation...common thing with P&S settings. you can change the settings or shoot in RAW and process everything yourself.

adonisadonis

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2009
I think your problem is from oversaturation...common thing with P&S settings. you can change the settings or shoot in RAW and process everything yourself.

thanks. I think it is oversaturation as well..I tried to adjust the settings however there is no big difference. I even tried to adjust the white balance but i'm still not happy with it. Ill try to shoot RAW instead. Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.