Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
Hi guys,

I'm looking at picking up a dslr from canon, to start up some sports and landscape/outdoors shooting. What I'm looking for is a cheap started dslr with fast burst shots and good image quality. I've chosen canon because of my experience with xt and xti rebels and with the xl1 and xlh1 cameras, as well as when I do get a xlh1, the lenses will be compatible. I can get the xs with the 18-55 kit lenses, and the 55-250 lens for 528 fr b&h. I can also get the xsi with the image stabilized zoom lens for 789.

Do you guys think that for my uses that the xsi with it's faster burst rate, specially in raw, would be better for my uses, also cuz the extra telephoto is image stabilized, that means I'll be able to go handheld instead of relying on the monopod entirely. Is that worth the extra money you guys think? I'll be stopping by b&h tommorow to possiblybuy.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well this if you will shoot primarily in RAW and you will shoot sports event in RAW then get the XSi, the XS (which I own) will have a buffer after 3 continuous RAW shots. The FPS on the XSi is also .5 faster then the XS so it might benefit your sports photography by abit?
The only thing is that the XS can shoot unlimited burst shot while the XSi has a limit (I forget the number) but I bet you won't shoot in burst until you reach the max XSi burst shot.

gmecca2

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
To me the XS felt extremely cheap and entry level when in my hand. The XSi felt more durable and semi-pro. If you have the money I would go with the XSi, I did myself and love it. I also bought the 55-250 lens with it. I paid $930 for the package at BestBuy (bought it there cause I had a gift card). B&H had a great deal on the XSi with the standard lens.

If I didn't have the money to buy the XSi I would have went to the Nikon D40 or D60 and completely skipped over the XS because I disliked it so much.

romanaz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
NJ
To me the XS felt extremely cheap and entry level when in my hand. The XSi felt more durable and semi-pro. If you have the money I would go with the XSi, I did myself and love it. I also bought the 55-250 lens with it. I paid $930 for the package at BestBuy (bought it there cause I had a gift card). B&H had a great deal on the XSi with the standard lens.

If I didn't have the money to buy the XSi I would have went to the Nikon D40 or D60 and completely skipped over the XS because I disliked it so much.

That's one of the reasons I like the xsi is that it feels nicer in my hand. I would look at nikon but the xlh1 I'll eventually buy will fit the same lenses. Plus I'm more familiar with canons and such.

Anyhow I ended up buying the xsi with the 18-55 and 55-250 IS lenses and a 8gb class 6 sdhc card from Kingston for 814 total. Good deal. :)

lharvest

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Wow! That is a good deal.

You'll be very happy with the Xsi and the lenses you bought. I have the exact same setup except I have a Sandisk Extreme III 8 GB card. I've tried others (not Kingston) and none have been able to keep up with the camera when shooting soccer in burst apart from the Extreme III.

The 55-250 is great for shooting soccer, but I long for the 100-400. I'm trying to convince the wife it makes sense, but I'm not having much success.

Enjoy the new equipment!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.