Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wingnut330

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Central Ohio - USA
Hey guys.
i want to get a bag for my canon XSi. i got the kit lens, and im getting the nifty 50...

What do you think of these two? and which is better? or do u recommend other bags :)

http://www.caselogic.com/medium_slr_camera_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=57078

http://www.caselogic.com/sport_slr_camera_case/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=121080

Thanks

They seem like good choices. I went with a backpack style back so my gear would be firmly with me rather than at my side. Advantage: I feel more mobile. Disadvantage: It takes more effort to change a lens.

I went with LowePro and the build quality is good and it's been a durable bag. The one that I have has a clever opening system in that the part that opens is the part that is against my back rather than on the other side. That's nice because I can lay my bag on the ground, open it and change lenses and when I put it back on it doesn't get me all dirty. : )

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
For a really compact solution, you might consider the Lowepro TLZ Mini with a Lens Case 1S attached to its strap. The TLZ Mini is big enough to hold the XSi and a lens slightly larger than the kit zoom. The Lens Case 1S is just big enough to accommodate either the Nifty Fifty or the kit lens, so regardless of which one is on the camera and therefore in the TLZ Mini, you'll be have storage for the other one.

This combination served me well until I added a grip and a much larger lens. Now I've moved up to the next size each of case and lens case. I have Lowepro lens cases for each lens, so I can just add them on to the strap of my bag or onto a belt. I like modularity of it all.

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Your choices look solid and useful I'm not a big fan of 'obvious looking' camera bags though. Take a look at a Crumpler Jimmy Bo 700 camera bag. Fits my 50D with 18-200 attached, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II and some filters & remote for the days when I don't need to carry my MBP with me.

file1234364924.jpeg

file1234364945.jpeg

file1234364956.jpeg

jplg842

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2007
Your choices look solid and useful I'm not a big fan of 'obvious looking' camera bags though. Take a look at a Crumpler Jimmy Bo 700 camera bag. Fits my 50D with 18-200 attached, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Canon Speedlite 430 EX II and some filters & remote for the days when I don't need to carry my MBP with me.

file1234364924.jpeg

file1234364945.jpeg

file1234364956.jpeg

this really sounds great... i guess im getting this!
Thankss

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
A lot of the good Crumpler's aren't available in the US but I looooove my Tamrac Adventure 9. I got it when I only had the kit lens and now i have more accessories and it fits it all perfectly! plus it has a place for your laptop!

I got it in camo version but I don't know if they sell it anymore... http://www.tamrac.com/frame_adv.htm

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
If that Crumpler doesn't look like a camera bag then what type of bag does it look like? To my eyes it looks like the standard holster type camera bag!

ThunderRobot

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
If that Crumpler doesn't look like a camera bag then what type of bag does it look like? To my eyes it looks like the standard holster type camera bag!

When worn it looks to me like any one of a million over the shoulder bags people use day to day. It avoids the obvious squared off corners and external pouches traditionally associated with camera bags.

Obviously if you're aware of Crumpler and the nature of their products it will be reasonably obvious what it is - but it's not certainly not similar to any traditional camera bag and hopefully won't be as tempting to a would-be thief.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.