Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I'm looking at these bodies and cannot decide which one, I really like the feel of the D80 However I have not held the XSi as no stores have yet here.

Now Canon Uses CMOS and Nikon uses CCD, I have heard that CMOS is a lot better for noise and efficiency. But how much of a difference is there really?

Does the Age difference really matter, is the D80 that outdated?

I won't be purchasing for a 2 month's or so, So I have time but I would like to know what I'm looking at.

Thanks

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
I think I heard rumors that the D90 is coming out in a couple of months. Maybe by then, the D80 will be discounted. If you are going to wait, that will probably be to your advantage.

I had a choice between the XTi and the D80, and I chose Canon because the lenses I needed/wanted at the time were less expensive. Especially the macro lens, which was hundreds less.

I am quite happy with Canon, and will probably be upgrading to a 40D or 50D in the future.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Wait for the newest and you'll be waiting forever.

Xsi = Canon
D80 = Nikon

Go look through the other cameras, lenses, accessories (such as Nikon cameras can trigger off camera flash with the built-in, but Canon can't) and then choose your body.

Fiasco

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2007
New York, NY, USA
Haven't touched the XSi yet and probably won't, but here's my 2 cents.

I had the Rebel XT before and found it to be too lightweight and rather small in my hands, so I decided to upgrade. I was going to get a 30D, but before I did I tried out the Nikon D80 and it felt perfect in my hands. I went with the D80 and love it.

As far as the age of the D80, I would say at this time it's irrelevant. I know people still shooting with a D70 and D100 And some still going on a Canon 20D.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I'm looking at these bodies and cannot decide which one, I really like the feel of the D80 However I have not held the XSi as no stores have yet here.

Here is how to decide. Ech of the two bodies are completely useless untill to attach a lens. You will likely over the course of ownership buy more then one lens to go with your SLR body. So, if you buy the D80 you will be buying Nikon lenses. If youbuy the Canon you will be buying Canon lenses. In the end you will have spent more on the lenses and flash units then on the SLR body. Lenses have more efect on the quality of the final image than the body.

So,... think about which lenses you want. Check out new ones and see what is on the used market too. Even if you dont want a used lens you might want to check out the re-sale values. Pick out some lenses that yo might want to buy over the next year or two then buy either the Canon or the Nikon whichever fits the lenses yu picked out.

Selecting the SLR body first is kind of backwards because it is the "bottleneck that constrains all the other buying decisions you will make. If later you find you reall want that Nikon 18-200 it wil not fit your Canon. Likewise if you want the Canon 70-200 f/4 lens It wil not fit the Nikon. Choose one or the other of these two lenses will have a much larger effect on your photography then choosing between the two bodies you listed

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Well, Don't worry about the lenses they both have a lens I want, Both have a 18-200mm Lens and that is the only one I could see myself buying, Maybe a 50mm Prime lens. However I believe only Canon has that lens.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Well, Don't worry about the lenses they both have a lens I want, Both have a 18-200mm Lens and that is the only one I could see myself buying, Maybe a 50mm Prime lens. However I believe only Canon has that lens.

This whole post couldn't be more wrong.

Nikon has an 18-200mm lens, Canon does not. Sigma makes an aftermarket version for both, but its not as good as Nikon's. Nikon and Canon both have 50mm prime lenses in f2.5, f1.8, f1.4 and f1.2 varieties.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
How was i Wrong about the 18-200mm They both do have them Available to them the Sigma would be the one I would get. I just found the 50mm for the Nikon, So they both have the lenses I want then.

Now I just need to chose a body.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
How was i Wrong about the 18-200mm They both do have them Available to them the Sigma would be the one I would get. I just found the 50mm for the Nikon, So they both have the lenses I want then.

It may have been unclear because of the creative grammar in your posts.

Also keep in mind that as zooms get larger in range, the quality usually dips. Shorter range zooms (24-70mm) will usually be of a higher quality than super 10-1000mm (non-existent example) zooms. The complexity of glass elements can also make these lenses much heavier.

Not that the 18-200mm isn't a nice lens; it's a great "all-purpose" vacation lens -- but there are better lenses out there if you don't mind segmenting the focal range a bit.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I wouldn't worry about the image quality of the 18-200 unless you are an expert.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
I can answer your question about CMOS vs. CCD. (keep in mind that this is a layman's perspective, though..)

CMOS sensors have been used predominantly in still cameras for the last few years because of their ability to accurately record high quality images. CCD chips can be considered inferior in that ability, but are able to be engineered to have a very high recording speed, which makes them invaluable in video cameras.

Now that the latest generations of CMOS chips are arriving, however, they are replacing CCD chips in many high-end video cameras such as the Sony XCam and quite probably the future revision of the Z1U. This is because the new CMOS chips are now as 'fast' as the CCDs, and can give a better picture.

As far as I know, CMOS sensors are still better for recording big, high quality images. I'm not sure how the CCD and the CMOS compare for video, but as it's a still camera you're buying it shouldn't matter much.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Why buy such a nice body as the D80 then put a Sigma 18-200 lens on it. It is kind of like the audiophile who buys a $2,400 tube amp and then goes to Radio Shack to pick up some $100 speakers. The key is "balance" if he had a $2,500 budget it would be best to split it even. With stereo equipment the rule of thumb is to spend half the budget for the speakers. There is something like this with cameras too. Everyone will advise to spend the money on the lens(es)

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
As of Now the Canon looks like the way to go, It has most of the lenses I want, I really like there Macro's, nice and fast. They also have some nice looking Telephoto lenses.

eddx

macrumors regular
May 12, 2005
Manchester, UK
Buy what works for you. My guess is that the next version of the D80 will come out in August / September (that is usually when Nikon announces such things)

That said most photographers will tell you to spend more on the lens than the camera. If you prefer the range of Canon lens, go for the Canon, if you prefer the range of Nikon lens, go for the Nikon.

The Nikon D80 is a fine camera and currently not outdated, I would recommend a D80 or wait...but you could be waiting a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.