Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andrew D.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Chicago, IL
I shoot with a Nikon but my dad is looking into getting himself a Canon, no problem with me.. I'm just happy he's getting into Photography, haha.

But anyways, I've been looking for refurbs for him, the Canon XT that is and can't find much if any. I'm just wondering is it worth it still at this point or should we be looking into a Canon XTi instead? I would have totally gone for the 40D but he's on a tight budget right now and he needs the camera this October.

Any suggestions or advice would be great, thanks!

apearlman

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2007
Red Hook, NY
XT/XTi: just a few differences

The XT was discontinued a while ago, so I don't know if refurbs still exist. The XT and XTi are very similar cameras. The main improvements in the XTi are a better focus system, larger LCD screen, larger shooting buffer, and more megapixels.

You can compare side-by-side here:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...&cameras=canon_eos350d,canon_eos400d&show=all

Both are terrific cameras with awesome image quality. I love my XT.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I think the grip and menu systems were improved as well. Basically, it comes down to the tightness of the budget. The XTi is an improvement, but not a huge one by any means. What lenses would you be looking at?

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
The XT is a nice little camera. B&H sells it, but they are out of stock at the moment. However, there are others to choose from, including the XTi, or even the XS. The XS is a sort of "budget" camera you may want to look into (it should be in the market in September). The XS comes with a nice 18-5mm IS kit lens, and still costs under $700.00.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1082/Digital_Cameras_All_Digital_Cameras.html

XS:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571144-REG/Canon_2762B003_EOS_Rebel_XS_a_k_a_.html

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
This thread is a refreshing departure from the usual tone of this forum which treats anything less than a 5D as worthless and impossible to take even the most basic pictures with.

My XT takes great photographs. It may not have the slickest menu system, but it does a great job. The only thing I need the screen for is to display the histogram to figure out if I've under- or over-exposed the shot.

A quality lens, as it turns out, will give you a greater increase in image quality than an improved menu system and larger LCD screen.

In any case, all the fancy equipment in the world won't make anyone a good photographer.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
This thread is a refreshing departure from the usual tone of this forum which treats anything less than a 5D as worthless and impossible to take even the most basic pictures with.

My XT takes great photographs. It may not have the slickest menu system, but it does a great job. The only thing I need the screen for is to display the histogram to figure out if I've under- or over-exposed the shot.

A quality lens, as it turns out, will give you a greater increase in image quality than an improved menu system and larger LCD screen.

In any case, all the fancy equipment in the world won't make anyone a good photographer.

Bingo. I have the Rebel XT and it has been a great camera. I was actually messing with my school's yearbook camera, a Rebel XTi today and I found the menu slightly confusing. (Begin Rant) I still knew more about it than anyone else in the class including the official yearbook photographer who admitted to never using a camera over $150 before. (End Rant.)

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I'd pay the extra $100 or less to upgrade to the XTi if not JUST for the LCD real estate. The XT's LCD is so small you'll find it hard to tell if you got a shot or not. The XTi's screen is the perfect size and at a much higher resolution. Dust reduction and more focus points are nice, also.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America

But, but, but... the 5D is like... amazing, how can you say otherwise; heathen! It truly is a one size fits all type of camera. I don't know why people bother with other Canon cameras, as the 5D fits in your pocket, its small enough to fit in the glove box of motorbike (or a car) AND!! the buttons are big enough for all types of hands, thin, small or fat fingered. Compared to a large format camera it just isn't as flexible nor capable and why would anybody buy a compact these days when the 5D isn't that much bigger. Heck it has a neck strap anyway if your pockets are not large enough.

Canon should only just make 5D's from now on.(Please note this post has elements of satire/parody)

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
I hate the fact that they're designed with a built-in grip on the bottom. I can't stand it. I DO wish manufacturer's offered full-frame prosumer cameras. Some people (me) don't have money for $3,000+ cameras :(.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.