Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Hi guys,

I have decided to get a canon XTI. I considered similar cameras from sony nikon and even canons G9 and decided that the XTI was right for me.

I will be using this camera for work. I am a freelance designer and I often find myself taking product shots for material that I design for my clients.

Of all of the cameras withing my budget ($500) that I reseached the XTI was the only one that had the ability to take pictures directly from my mac. This might be very useful as I do most of my shots in my home studio. Could anyone tell how good or bad canon's remote software works on a mac (leopard)? My second choice was a nikon d40x but it seems to lack this functionality. Could anyone confirm wether or not the nikons offer something similar?

Thanks for your repliess.

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Hi guys,

I have decided to get a canon XTI. I considered similar cameras from sony nikon and even canons G9 and decided that the XTI was right for me.

I will be using this camera for work. I am a freelance designer and I often find myself taking product shots for material that I design for my clients.

Of all of the cameras withing my budget ($500) that I reseached the XTI was the only one that had the ability to take pictures directly from my mac. This might be very useful as I do most of my shots in my home studio. Could anyone tell how good or bad canon's remote software works on a mac (leopard)? My second choice was a nikon d40x but it seems to lack this functionality. Could anyone confirm wether or not the nikons offer something similar?

Thanks for your repliess.

Nikon's camera control software costs about 150-175 bucks extra. Canon's come with the camera itself which is the main reason I went with the Canon XTI.

The D60/XTI were my choices but the 175 buck software sent me to Canon.

It works really good. Sends the images straight to the camera or you can have it save on the CF Card.

I like it, I was playing around and had it on a tripod with the USB cable in Manual mode. The only thing I couldn't monitor was exposure. I had to look in the camera while adjusting aperture/shutter to get exposure right (for the metering) but beyond that it works great.

From what I've read on the Nikon's software, it's limited on what it can do as well. Unsure on how more limited it is compared to the canon, but I'm not about to spend the money to find out so I got the Canon. I couldn't be happier. I figured I'd be happy with whichever camera I bought but not wanting to pay extra for the software sealed the deal for me.

As far as how good it works on Mac/Leopard, it works great. Once you install it, download and install the updates from the Canon website for Leopard support.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Yeah i hate that i have to pay over $100 bucks....i wish there was a torrent for it hahahahaha or i just need $100 i guess...or i wish i could create a program to get this to work for my nikon...

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
I have a 40D, and the remote software works great. It makes it really easy to mess around with all the settings on the camera (such as aperture, shutter speed, ISO, exposure, etc).

Its even better with the 40D because they have Live View as well :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.