Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
The chain store had a clearance on the rebel xti for 360.00 for the kit including the lens, this is my first SLR camera, is it a good deal and a OK camera?

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Yeah, that's a good deal on a good camera, but the kit lens that comes with it is sub-par. The newer version of the kit lens (the "IS" version) is leagues better.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
I am just starting out and was going to get the fixed lens Canon or the nikon p80 but this was a good deal.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, that's a good deal on a good camera, but the kit lens that comes with it is sub-par. The newer version of the kit lens (the "IS" version) is leagues better.
Yeah, I compared the build quality between the new kit lens (found on 1000D, 450D and maybe some other that I dont know of) and the old kit lens (400D) and the new kit lens is definitely better build. And it comes with IS which is good when the shutter drops below 1/100

Anyway, the XTi is a good camera, I told my friends that its not about the body (unless you need a better body because you need a faster camera, better low light or etc), its about the lens. Get quality lens and it will do wonders to your picture, the color is much better and etc. Hmm, maybe I should start a thread about comparing kit lens and expensive lenses? (portraits should do a fair comparison). Besides lenses get an external flash (I will get this after I earn enough money to buy myself a zoom lens), I tried some night photography before and its a whole different experience, it is slower (cause of the slower shutter speed and you will need to have a tripod to get a clear image) but some objects that look plain in daylight look totally different at night and with some lighting.

So keep us updated :D

anubis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2003
That wouldn't be a terrible deal for a new XTI even without the kit lens. Although, that kit lens is one of the worst lenses canon ever made, so you might as well try to sell it on ebay or throw it in the trash and get a quality lens

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah, its all about the lens baby ;). Love my EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, coupled with my 1000D, its a 160mm lens and it take fast and excellent clear portraits, I can capture a person jump with 0 blur.

Ironic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2008
In my MBA!
Yeah, its all about the lens baby ;). Love my EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, coupled with my 1000D, its a 160mm lens and it take fast and excellent clear portraits, I can capture a person jump with 0 blur.
I went lens sopping today just to look and found a few sweet ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.