Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Hi everybody!

I used to frequently add looked-up addresses in Apple Maps to my Contacts.

A few weeks ago (when it was still iOS 15.2) I noticed that when I find an address in Apple Maps and then choose to add it to an existing contact, it would not work. The Contacts app opens, I can select a contact and click in it, at which point the contacts window disappears and nothing gets added. However, if I looked up an address and chose to create a new contact, it would still work.

The same thing happens with just released iOS 15.2.1.

Does it work for you as it should?

Thanks everyone! ?

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I'm on 15.1.1 on my 13 Pro Max, and it works properly for me. Have you tried restarting your phone or actually quitting both the Contacts and Map apps (actually closing the apps, not just exiting them)?

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I'm on 15.1.1 on my 13 Pro Max, and it works properly for me. Have you tried restarting your phone or actually quitting both the Contacts and Map apps (actually closing the apps, not just exiting them)?

Yes, I have tried both quitting the apps and restarting the iPhone. I can add that the same thing happens on my iPad (linked to the same Apple ID). ?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Yes, I have tried both quitting the apps and restarting the iPhone. I can add that the same thing happens on my iPad (linked to the same Apple ID). ?

I'm not sure what to tell you in that case except to try the nuclear option of resetting your entire iPhone. I've updated to 15.2.1 and it still works for me. So you're saying if you select a location/address in Maps, tap the "3-dot (...) button next to it, and then tap "Add to Existing Contact", literally NOTHING happens, right? The pop up menu just stays there as if you're not tapping on anything, right?

Screen Shot 2022-01-13 at 9.38.28 AM.png

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
I'm not sure what to tell you in that case except to try the nuclear option of resetting your entire iPhone. I've updated to 15.2.1 and it still works for me. So you're saying if you select a location/address in Maps, tap the "3-dot (...) button next to it, and then tap "Add to Existing Contact", literally NOTHING happens, right? The pop up menu just stays there as if you're not tapping on anything, right?

View attachment 1943449

Yes, exactly. If I want to add a place to my already existing contact and click on those “…” in Apple Maps, it opens up my contacts list. When I click on the contact, this contact window disappears and nothing gets added to the contact I click on. “Create New Contact”, however, works fine.

I do not think resetting my iPhone will help, as my iPad has the same problem. Besides, it is not such a big deal, more of a nuisance, as I have to update my contacts addresses line by line.

Thanks for your input though! ?

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
An update. Just tried adding an address on my friend’s iPad, obviously with a different Apple ID and it had exactly the same behaviour - the address cannot be added to an existing contact. Might be a French thing? Hopefully Apple are just tweaking some parts of Maps over here and it should self-resolve after a while. ?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Yes, exactly. If I want to add a place to my already existing contact and click on those “…” in Apple Maps, it opens up my contacts list. When I click on the contact, this contact window disappears and nothing gets added to the contact I click on. “Create New Contact”, however, works fine.

Actually, that's not what I had understood. I thought you were saying when you clicked on "Add to existing contact" nothing happened, but you're saying it DOES open up your contacts list, but then the contacts list just "poof" disappears once you tap on a specific contact. But, no, that's not happening for me - I just tested by actually tapping on a contact and then clicking "Done" and it did indeed add the address info to that existing contact.

As for your other comment, have you tried looking up a US address and adding it to a contact as a test?

one more

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Actually, that's not what I had understood. I thought you were saying when you clicked on "Add to existing contact" nothing happened, but you're saying it DOES open up your contacts list, but then the contacts list just "poof" disappears once you tap on a specific contact. But, no, that's not happening for me - I just tested by actually tapping on a contact and then clicking "Done" and it did indeed add the address info to that existing contact.

As for your other comment, have you tried looking up a US address and adding it to a contact as a test?

Just tried adding the White House to my contacts - no luck. ??‍♂️ I guess I will wait, but meantime will update the thread title to include France.

Reactions: usagora
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.