Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
Over the years, from what I can tell since Mavericks, Apple has made change to the LAN file sharing infrastructure between Mac hosts. AFP is now out completely and even in Catalina, where the protocol was still available, APFS volumes could not be shared, unless SMB was used. This has made what used to be very simple (I have been a file sharing user since System 7, when networking was over LocalTalk) quite a bit more difficult. Possibly because of all those changes I am running into the difficulties I am now facing. I am asking for help from anyone who has more experience with file sharing the way it is implemented in the more recent versions of macOS.

I have file sharing turned on like so:
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 11.44.10 AM.png

This is an Mac mini running Catalina that’s too old to run anything newer. I am also running macOS Server 5.10 on it, and the user IDs I wish to use for accessing shares on it are set up like this:
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 11.47.38 AM.png

Those users without icons are local network directory users whose home directory is established by Open Directory, which is a service running on that Mac. Too bad that file sharing the way it used to be configured through macOS Server has gone away! Those users can locally log in and access their home folders, which are on an external volume, which would not be possible without macOS Server and Open Directory, at least not to my knowledge.

Now, when I try to connect to the share set up like above, the authentication dialog rejects my attempts by shaking its head at me, regardless of whether I use my dominik (local network directory user) or admin (local user) user ID. The client system is a Monterey Apple Silicon Mac.
Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 6.27.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 12.12.06 PM.png

What is going on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.