Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
I have an iPhone XR, my rMBP was replaced with a Dell XPS
I have an old MBP that has a battery swelling issue I think and want to move my iTunes library over to the Dell.

I just signed up for 200GB iCloud storage and thought that surely the backup feature would back up the music on my iPhone. Is it really the case that it won't backup my non Apple music? I use Spotify for in the car and so can't use Apple Music.

Is it also the case that with iTunes on my Dell laptop (without the music on the Dell yet, trying to work out if easier to use an app to transfer the music to iTunes or copy the library from MBP to Dell)

There seem to be so many permutations of rules relating to music and photos in relation to Apple instead of it just works.
You would hope in this day and age that if I backup my phone, it backs it up to a state that it can be restored again without having to think about it, hopefully that is the case. (Some issues with my charging port an I have to take phone back to Apple)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I think it would be easiest to connect your rMBP to the Dell and transfer the songs directly. Just copy over the iTunes media folder.

Reactions: jetsam

Minorite

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2018
Poland
Yep, there's no way to backup non-Apple music tracks from the phone with iTunes, you can just sync TO the phone. If it's important to you check iMazing, just drag&drop and no limitations to 1 iTunes library as with iTunes itself. Here's the guide.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
I think it would be easiest to connect your rMBP to the Dell and transfer the songs directly. Just copy over the iTunes media folder.
I have copied them to an external hard drive for the time being, til I get around to restoring on my Dell Laptop.
I currently am listening to Spotify so no hurry. Plus having to take my phone back to Apple to get the charge port looked at, I can restore the music after that.

Yep, there's no way to backup non-Apple music tracks from the phone with iTunes, you can just sync TO the phone. If it's important to you check iMazing, just drag&drop and no limitations to 1 iTunes library as with iTunes itself. Here's the guide.

I had looked at one other program that was $39 AUD, I'll take a look at the one you mention, thanks.

Its a shame Apple won't do a proper backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.