Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
Is there any particular reason that I can't use an SD card to install Ventura with OCLP on a 2017 5K iMac?

Why not just use a USB stick? I don't have one handy and there's an ice storm outside. In any case, this seems like an artificial restriction.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
In my experience, you can't use SD cards (at all) to create bootable volumes of the most recent versions of the Mac OS. This probably includes bootable "installer drives" as well.

I could be wrong.

ghboard2010

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
Somewhere
Hmmmm..., the 2017 iMac was and is the "cut-off'' model for Ventura. There is no need to use OCLP on any storage medium to install macOS 13 Ventura on that unit. So, why not just install Ventura directly?

Reactions: Fishrrman

imrazor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Dol Amroth
@ghboard2010 Sorry, got my wires crossed. I was trying to install Sonoma.

It worked when I tried a little sleight of hand. I found a Belkin USB hub with an SD card slot and plugged it into the back of iMac, and transferred the SD card to the slot in the hub. The OCLP app found the USB attached SD card with zero issues and was able to create the installer.

I then tried to put the card directly into the back of the iMac and boot it ... but it wouldn't. When I plugged it back into the USB hub, it booted fine and I was able to install Sonoma.

This is some dumb BS. Why do I have to plug in a USB hub to boot off an SD card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.