Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which MacBook should I get?

• The 13inch MacBook

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • The 15inch MacBook

Votes: 13 76.5%

• Total voters

Kuranji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
Hello everyone,

In about two weeks I will be making the move from windows to mac. I've decided that I am getting a Macbook Pro. However, I'm having trouble deciding on which Macbook Pro to get, specifically between two configurations, which both of each will cost me about €2000:

Macbook Pro 13 inch (2015)
CPU: i5 2.9 GHz dual core
RAM: 16GB 1866-MHz
Storage: 256GB SSD
Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Macbook Pro 15 inch (2015)
CPU: i5 2.2 GHz quad core
RAM: 16GB 1600-MHz
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro

What am I going to use the Macbook for?
I work as a website and application developer for a company, but in my free time I like to develop websites and apps as well. I also like to use programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I am not interested in gaming. The macbook is going to be for everyday use, and I plan to take it with me on some occassions to my work.

Lastly, the screen size is not a deciding factor for me.

So my question to you: Which laptop would perform the best for my needs?

Thank you for your time :)

michelg1970

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2011
The Hague - The Netherlands
Couldn't you just wait a bit longer? My 2013 rMBP is due for an update (so I can still sell it for a reasonable price here) but I would honestly want the next one with the much-discussed Skylake processor...

Just a thought.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
get the 15", quad core !!! and plus the old iris pro somewhat still have better performance vs the new iris broadwell

VesselA

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2015
Hello everyone,

In about two weeks I will be making the move from windows to mac. I've decided that I am getting a Macbook Pro. However, I'm having trouble deciding on which Macbook Pro to get, specifically between two configurations, which both of each will cost me about €2000:

Macbook Pro 13 inch (2015)
CPU: i5 2.9 GHz dual core
RAM: 16GB 1866-MHz
Graphics: Intel Iris Graphics 6100

Macbook Pro 15 inch (2015)
CPU: i5 2.2 GHz quad core
RAM: 16GB 1600-MHz
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro

What am I going to use the Macbook for?
I work as a website and application developer for a company, but in my free time I like to develop websites and apps as well. I also like to use programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. I am not interested in gaming. The macbook is going to be for everyday use, and I plan to take it with me on some occassions to my work.

Lastly, the screen size is not a deciding factor for me.

So my question to you: Which laptop would perform the best for my needs?

Thank you for your time :)

if fan noise has been a nuisance to you in the past (as it had to me) I recommend the 13" - you can run 1080p youtube videos, as many tabs as you like, run photoshop without any fans ramping up, but I have heard that the 15" ramps up the fans sometimes on youtube videos and some websites because of the more powerful components. (model I have is the entry level processor 2.7Ghz, so the 2.9 may not have the same silent operation for as long)
13" is also more manageable for carrying, it is almost as light as the air since the redesign

Kuranji

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
michelg1970, I have considered waiting for Skylake until it became pretty apparent that the skylake-processors that the new MacBook Pro would probably need isn't coming out until 2016. Combine that with my current laptop not being reliable enough for me to continue working on it anymore, you can imagine that I want to make the jump as soon as possible. :)

VesselA, thank you for sharing your personal experience on the 13 inch. Personally I don't really mind some fan noise, I am kind of used to it and the size of the laptop isn't really a problem for me. :p

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I have decided to get the 15 inch!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.