Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexmac712

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
FL
This is a weird one. First off, running High Sierra 10.13.6. I couldn't just transition my old iPhotos to the new Photos, even with iPhoto upgrader.
So, I had to manually drag all my photos from the iPhoto library (Package contents - originals) and also from my external drive where I had the same photos just for safekeeping.
Now, some photos were showing up in the iPhoto folder with a "don't have permission" error code. Plus, they didn't have an image icon and looked like this:
upload_2019-4-22_21-18-41.png

So, I sent these to the trash. Then, I transferred the backed up photos of the same exact file over the Photos program.
Now, as I tried to empty the trash, I got this message:
upload_2019-4-22_21-21-50.png

And this was with every photo, I sent to trash.
I went back and deleted the photos from these dates. Emptied the Photos Recently Deleted section. Still, no go.
I tired "delete immediately" on all the files. That didn't work. I tried that on just one of the files and got this:
upload_2019-4-22_21-25-24.png

I even tried using Terminal and that didn't work.
I had TrashIt from my older Mac and tried that to no avail.
I am flummoxed. What can I do?

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-22_21-18-27.png
    upload_2019-4-22_21-18-27.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 163

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I'm really surprised that Terminal command "rm" didn't work. What error did it return?

If you do the following "list" command on any one of the files, we can see the file ownership and whether you have write permissions, and the file type. Change to the right directory, and enter:

ls -lF DSC07767.JPG

(That's a lowercase L after the dash, then an uppercase F.) You should get one line of info about that file. Copy and paste it here. The output should start with "-rw" and include your username.

If the ownership and/or permissions are preventing deletion we can easily fix them with Terminal commands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.