Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
I wanted to restore my Mac. The guide I found said to go to recovery mode by holding command + r upon restarting, and in there to go to disc utility and then delete the drive. I did this, and then I closed the disk utility in order to select the option to restore macOS.

However, when selecting the button for restoring macOS, the continue button was greyed out.

I then tried to restart the Mac again, but now every time I restart while holding command + r, it goes to some “internet recovery” instead. If I just reboot without holding any buttons, I get to a screen that shows the mouse / trackpad and indicates how to turn it on (my mouse is already turned on). I can’t do nothing on this screen as nothing happens when I use the trackpad nor the keyboard.

If I use the internet recovery thing, when it finishes loading or whatever, it just sends me to the same screen as mentioned above where my trackpad and keyboard doesn’t register.

What’s the deal here? Seems like I’m stuck.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"If I use the internet recovery thing, when it finishes loading or whatever, it just sends me to the same screen as mentioned above where my trackpad and keyboard doesn’t register."

Important question:
Are you using a wireless keyboard and mouse?

If so, my suggestion is:
Use internet recovery and try a WIRED keyboard and mouse.
Get cheap ones if you need to -- anything should do.

Reactions: felixen

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
"If I use the internet recovery thing, when it finishes loading or whatever, it just sends me to the same screen as mentioned above where my trackpad and keyboard doesn’t register."

Important question:
Are you using a wireless keyboard and mouse?

If so, my suggestion is:
Use internet recovery and try a WIRED keyboard and mouse.
Get cheap ones if you need to -- anything should do.
Bummer. I only have wireless ones and just recently threw out an old wired keyboars. Will see if I can find something to use.

It’s weird because in the Internet Recovery thing, my keyboard and trackpad works. And in the normal Recovery mode it also worked, but for whatever reason the normal recovery mode is dead and gone now

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I wanted to restore my Mac. The guide I found said to go to recovery mode by holding command + r upon restarting, and in there to go to disc utility and then delete the drive. I did this, and then I closed the disk utility in order to select the option to restore macOS.
It’s weird because in the Internet Recovery thing, my keyboard and trackpad works. And in the normal Recovery mode it also worked, but for whatever reason the normal recovery mode is dead and gone now
Normal Recovery mode is gone because you used Disk Utility to format ("delete") the drive. Your only choice now is to use Internet Recovery.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Which ones? Do you have Apple’s Bluetooth keyboard? Do you have a Lightning cable? Plug it in!
I have the old Apple touchpad and keyboard, so unfortunately no lightning cable connection I’m borrowing some old mouse and keyboard from friends and family during Xmas, so will have to get cracking on this when I get back home. Good to hear the Internet Recovery is what I want considering it’s the only thing I can do at this point

HenryAZ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
South Congress AZ
I use a bluetooth Magic Mouse ordinarily, but I keep an old wired (USB) Mighty Mouse tucked away in a handy drawer for just such occasions. Doing a fresh install from a USB stick is another time I drag out the Mighty Mouse. It's really handy to have a mouse during the initial install, before the bluetooth one is recognized. My dasKeyboard is always wired.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
^ Yeah. I just got tired of having stuff around in general I don’t use often, but it’s times like this I really regret not having them for backup.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.