Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emilyclaire94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2016
UK
Hi,

I attempted to move my documents folder to my desktop. It made a noise, and now I can't find the folder at all. It isn't on my desktop, it isn't in the finder sidebar, and as far as I can tell, it isn't in the trash folder.

I have some really important work to do and so I'm panicking about getting it back!

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

go to Finder Preferences / Sidebar, and check the tickbox "Documents".

Or check your username (the little house), then select it in the Finder's side bar to access the defaults folder of your account (Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, a.s.o...)

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
In Finder, click the Go menu and choose Documents.
[doublepost=1457533037][/doublepost]Also, don't do that! If you want access to the Documents folder on the desktop, create a shortcut (click and drag to desktop while holding Cmd+Opt). Or drag the documents folder to the dock. Or just use the Finder keyboard shortcut Shift-Cmd-O.
Generally speaking, the folders that are in the home folder should stay put.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You -can't- [easily] "move" the Documents folder from your home folder to anywhere else.

The reason is, is that it's -more than- "just a folder". It's actually a "symbolic link" (I believe), and requires special considerations to re-locate it.

Having said that:
You -CAN- move the contents of the Documents folder (i.e., your files) elsewhere.

Just go to where you want them to reside, and create a NEW FOLDER with a name that's meaningful to you. It can be any name you wish.

Then, manually copy the files you wish to move into the new folder.

You can then delete them from the Documents folder.

What you can try right now:
First, download this small, free utility called "EasyFind" from this page:
http://www.devontechnologies.com/download/products.html

Put EasyFind into your Applications folder.
Now, launch it.
In its window, click the radio button for "only folders".
Enter "Downloads" in the search bar and give it a try.
Does it find your "Downloads" folder?
If so, RIGHT CLICK on the line for the folder, and you should get a contextual menu choice to "reveal in finder".
That should take you to it.

You can now copy the contents from there into the new folder (or folders) that you created above.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
Once you find the folder again, using any one of the above suggestions, you can make an alias of the folder on your desktop. You can also drag it into the very right of the dock to create an alias as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.