Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

planetMitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Missouri
Hi y'all. Kinda surprising but I didn't know split screen for MacOS existed (shocking I know!).

But my 27" iMac on latest Big Sur won't let me click the green button to enable split screen. I've documented this in a loom video: https://www.loom.com/share/d2d5d5c615894a91b7a10351665d0472

I have used BetterSnapTool before but removed that and rebooted, still no luck.

Yes, I have "displays have separate spaces" on in system preferences (and have used that for over a year).

Some app's blocking my Mac from doing it on the green button... any other ideas?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You're running a lot of menu extras, most of which I can't recognize. But something you're running is probably interfering with system behavior. BetterSnapTool is a good guess. Perhaps you didn't uninstall all of its parts. I have the following suggestions:

1. Hover longer. I don't think you waited long enough with your hover to see the menu pop up.
2. Hovering isn't necessary. Clicking and holding the green button also works. Try that.

Reactions: planetMitch

planetMitch

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2010
Missouri
You're running a lot of menu extras, most of which I can't recognize. But something you're running is probably interfering with system behavior. BetterSnapTool is a good guess. Perhaps you didn't uninstall all of its parts. I have the following suggestions:

1. Hover longer. I don't think you waited long enough with your hover to see the menu pop up.
2. Hovering isn't necessary. Clicking and holding the green button also works. Try that.
appreciate your help. Yes, I have lots of extras. I use almost all of them daily. I have tried Turning most of them off to no avail.

I have tried hover longer, click and hold etc...

OMG I just tried tapping the command key as I was hovered over and that pops up the menu to split screen!

I'm getting closer to figuring this out. :)

Reactions: chabig

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Since you now know that right-click works, I think you've solved the problem satisfactorily. If you finally trace it to some other app/utility that you like, are you willing to give that up to get the hover functionality? Maybe just stick with what works not.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you upgrade to Monterey.

Reactions: planetMitch
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.