Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Brand new iPad Air 2022, not even a month old and already have microscopic hairline scratches about as wide/deep as the thin hairs on my arm. Worst part is, they occurred whilst cleaning my screen to install a screen protector using the wipes that they gave me. I’m upset.

I have heard that it’s merely the oleophobic coating on the screen that’s being scratched, but I’m unsure since dust can contain quartz which is harder than iPad glass. Guess that’s what happens when you live in the deserts of the southwestern US where dust is always there to ruin your day no matter how careful you are, I guess.

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Sucks but my iPad has a similar scratch which I never see with a screen protector on.
Ah well. Gonna fill it in with a liquid glass screen protector and then layer a matte screen protector on top of it.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Ah well. Gonna fill it in with a liquid glass screen protector and then layer a matte screen protector on top of it.

I just saw a similar post on another forum where a user had the same problem but with a Kindle at the beach where they "were extremely careful with it". Very tiny desert and beach crystals can get embedded in your fingertips turning your fingers into the equivalent of very fine sandpaper.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
As other said, the slightly good news is if you put a screen protector on it now it will most likely hide that type of scratch anyway.

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
Brand new iPad Air 2022, not even a month old and already have microscopic hairline scratches about as wide/deep as the thin hairs on my arm. Worst part is, they occurred whilst cleaning my screen to install a screen protector using the wipes that they gave me. I’m upset.

I have heard that it’s merely the oleophobic coating on the screen that’s being scratched, but I’m unsure since dust can contain quartz which is harder than iPad glass. Guess that’s what happens when you live in the deserts of the southwestern US where dust is always there to ruin your day no matter how careful you are, I guess.
Next time install screen protector at the Apple Store..lol. I do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.