Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I've had this issue for a while now where audio messages that I receive in the Messages app will not play from my speakers. This issue doesn't affect audio messages on my iPad or Mac which play normally as expected.

If I long press the message to pop out to the full-screen player it'll play over the phone speakers just fine. I've done all the basic troubleshooting I can think of such as resetting my settings, toggling "Raise to Listen" on and off and updating my iOS version but I can't figure it out. My last hope was maybe for some odd reason it was an issue with my iPhone but once I restored my backup to my new iPhone the issue has followed to the new phone which tells me it must be a settings bug or something.

I've reported this bug to Apple but I was someone may have a tip or suggestion to resolve this without having to lose my backup and start over as a new device.

Thanks 🙏

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I can reproduce the issue. I can play other phone content through external speakers, but not audio Messages. If I had to guess, I would say it's intentional to safeguard privacy, but it might be nice to have a toggle for in Settings.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I can reproduce the issue. I can play other phone content through external speakers, but not audio Messages. If I had to guess, I would say it's intentional to safeguard privacy, but it might be nice to have a toggle for in Settings.
Turns out there's a loud speaker toggle right next to the message that I haven't noticed for MONTHS. I forgot to update this post so thank you for your comment. Of course I noticed after making a backup in Finder and then restoring my phone. 🤦🏽‍♂️

If you click the speaker glpyh next to the audio message as it's playing it'll enable or disable playing over your speaker.

1664145058418.png
1664145090902.png

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Actually I tried that while I was testing and it was louder but still through my phone speakers, and not the external. Regardless, it's not an issue for me, and I'm glad to hear you've got it resolved.

Reactions: mikeydeezy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.