Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agc_Omega

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
hello, I don't know much about what I'm taking about here but I was trying to reset my mac freshly so all my files with be erased but I could still use the computer, I booted up into recovery mode and went to disk utility, then I went to the macintosh hd drive and clicked restore to reset it. I thought that after that the drive would stay and I could go to the Mac OS install section but the drive was gone. Im now only left with 2 internal drives called "Crucial_CT256...etc" and "OS X Base System" I've tried installing Mac OS Onto the base system but it says "the disk is locked" would really appreciate some help

Thanks!

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
hello, I don't know much about what I'm taking about here but I was trying to reset my mac freshly so all my files with be erased but I could still use the computer, I booted up into recovery mode and went to disk utility, then I went to the macintosh hd drive and clicked restore to reset it. I thought that after that the drive would stay and I could go to the Mac OS install section but the drive was gone. Im now only left with 2 internal drives called "Crucial_CT256...etc" and "OS X Base System" I've tried installing Mac OS Onto the base system but it says "the disk is locked" would really appreciate some help

Thanks!
Sounds like you didn't format it properly. Gonna have to do it again it happens. Can you boot the machine at all? If so get a usb stick or drive and format and install onto that and stick macOS on it, hold down the option key and select install from the external drive, and you should be able to get into disk utility and try again.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Agc_Omega

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
Sounds like you didn't format it properly. Gonna have to do it again it happens. Can you boot the machine at all? If so get a usb stick or drive and format and install onto that and stick macOS on it, hold down the option key and select install from the external drive, and you should be able to get into disk utility and try again.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204904

Well, when ever I start up my computer it stays in the recovery menu I can select "install macOS" "disk utility" etc. I talked to apple and they said the problem is in the volume type of my drive, that it's listed as physical and it shouldn't? I'm not too sure, but he was waiting to hear back from an engineer but if anyone knows about this he said it would involve doing something in terminal.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Well, when ever I start up my computer it stays in the recovery menu I can select "install macOS" "disk utility" etc. I talked to apple and they said the problem is in the volume type of my drive, that it's listed as physical and it shouldn't? I'm not too sure, but he was waiting to hear back from an engineer but if anyone knows about this he said it would involve doing something in terminal.
That base system you see is a virtual image of the OS installer and normal... and you should ignore it.

command-r back to recovery then start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab. Then in the left column select that Crucial_CT256 at the very top. No on the right side select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the drop down then apply that format. Then quit Disk Util and click install OS up top.

Agc_Omega

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2017
That base system you see is a virtual image of the OS installer and normal... and you should ignore it.

command-r back to recovery then start Disk Utility and go to the erase tab. Then in the left column select that Crucial_CT256 at the very top. No on the right side select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in the drop down then apply that format. Then quit Disk Util and click install OS up top.

I go to the erase tab but it's greyed out with the message "you cannot unmount the volume you're booted from

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I go to the erase tab but it's greyed out with the message "you cannot unmount the volume you're booted from
Gah... sorry I goofed. I meant to type command-option-r at boot. That will get you to Internet recovery (different than command-r recovery) where you erase the entire disk like I described.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.