Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple899

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Hello,

I'm sure there is something I am not doing right but not sure what exactly...
I have no problem moving files (i.e. copying) from my Mac desktop to my LaCie external hard drive, but once they are on the external hard drive, I cannot move them around on the finder screen for the external hard drive.

For example, I want to group files on my external hard drive into a new folder. I can create a new folder with no problem, but I cannot move the files into the new folder. The files simply do not budge when I select and try and move them with my cursor.

Is this normal? is this the case for all external hard drives? I am not used to using the device, so I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Hello,

I have no problem moving files (i.e. copying) from my Mac desktop to my LaCie external hard drive, but once they are on the external hard drive, I cannot move them around on the finder screen for the external hard drive.

For example, I want to group files on my external hard drive into a new folder. I can create a new folder with no problem, but I cannot move the files into the new folder. The files simply do not budge when I select and try and move them with my cursor.

Is this normal? is this the case for all external hard drives? I am not used to using the device, so I appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Just one idea:

Is it possible that the disk or the files on the disk are a sort of protected?
In this case you can perhaps add data and files, create new files and folders - but you cannot change, delete or change the order of the files nor the folders ...

Last edited:

apple899

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
Just one idea:

Is it possible that the disk or the files on the disk are a sort of protected?
In this case you can perhaps add data and files, create new files and folders - but you cannot change, delete or change the order of the files nor the folders ...

Thanks for the response.
Do you know how I can check if the files are protected? I definitely didn't mean to protect them if they are.
actually I doubt if it's a protection issue because I can't even move the empty new folder. Unless the new folders become protected as a default because of a setting i have???

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Hello,

Thanks
I haven't seen this happen before...

Do they move when you drag them, and then snap back when you let go? The files should always move, I think, but if you don't have permissions then the OS should prevent you from doing certain things by either snapping the files back, or bringing up a dialog asking for you to authenticate.

If you select a file and hit Cmd-I, you can see the permissions and whether the file is locked.

Is the external drive fomatted for Mac or another file system? If it's a read only file system, there might be other restrictions I'm not familiar with-- but if you're copying to it it's not read only...

Can you drag a file back to your desktop?

Does a reboot clear it up?

apple899

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2016
I haven't seen this happen before...

Do they move when you drag them, and then snap back when you let go? The files should always move, I think, but if you don't have permissions then the OS should prevent you from doing certain things by either snapping the files back, or bringing up a dialog asking for you to authenticate.

If you select a file and hit Cmd-I, you can see the permissions and whether the file is locked.

Is the external drive fomatted for Mac or another file system? If it's a read only file system, there might be other restrictions I'm not familiar with-- but if you're copying to it it's not read only...

Can you drag a file back to your desktop?

Does a reboot clear it up?

Yes, problem solved! Reboot did work, thanks. Should've tried it before posting!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.