Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josbell2515

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Hi all,
I've recently taken it upon myself to restore an old iBook (G3, model A1005, to be exact) that's been sitting in my basement for the last few years. I've been following this iFixit article to start by removing the hard drive and the bottom cover: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook+G3+12-Inch+Hard+Drive+Replacement/131 and I guess this is where the title comes into play. I can't get one of the Torx screws on the bottom (one of the 20mm screws) out. Everything was going well until then. After finding out it was stripped, I've tried drilling it out, but to no avail, using numerous different bits, but no luck, as seen here:

20220207_220416.jpg

Is there anything else I can do to get this screw out? This computer is already kind of broken and of course, I want to fix this computer and not break it any more, haha.

Thanks in advance for any solutions. At this point I'll try anything! ?

(also, I'm not sure if it matters, but I am using a cordless drill to do this.)

Last edited:

DearthnVader

Suspended
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
You may want to try an easy out screw extractor. They're inexpensive and can be purchased locally or online.
Been best you tired the easy out before you tried to drill it, tho.

Barring that working, use a Drimmel or die grinder with a very small cone shaped stone bit. Let the tool do the cutting, don't try to apply more than even pressure. Don't try and force the stone to cut.

All you need to do is remove the head of the screw, you should be able to extract the rest with some needle nose vice grips once you have the iBook apart.

My want to take your time, not overheating the screw, to keep anything from melting.

If you have an extra set of hands, won't hurt to have someone hold a shop vac with a very good filter to the work while you cut.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.