Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seisbye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
I have bought a new SSD drive to replace my 5 year old HDD. i have also bought a Corsair cable so the new drive are connected through USB.. i have deleted the partitions on the new, with the Journaled mac profile.

When i then select the new drive and choose restore, and choose the HDD as the source. i instanstantly get an error

"Formatet på afsenderenheden er læse-skrive, og den kan ikke gøres passiv, så den kan ikke blokkopieres."

It's in danish and it says something like format on the sending/source unit are Read-Write, and it can't be made passiv, so it's cannot be Block copied.

I have googled a lot, and simply can't find anyone else who had this problem. I have found similar problems, but all they do to fix it, are the same steps i have gone through several times now.

So how do I clone the drive/stop the error? I also wonder why it needs to be able to "disable" the HDD. it should simply "copy" everything to the new drive, so i have replace it.

Thank you for the help

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
carbon copy cloner is the app you need (Pretty sure it is free.)

Alternatively, get a dual hard drive dock with cloning built in.
These will let you clone a drive to another drive in either 3.5" or 2.5" sizes, so it is simply a case of insert drives and power on, then press the clone button.
(My friend has the Welland Turbo Leopard 2 bay hard drive clone dock , which is about NZ$66 or roughly €30 I think.)

seisbye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
okay.. there were a software included in the cloning cit from cosair. just only for windows. it said mac.. but when you then look in the manual. it says use disk utility. :) (rip off)

And all the how to I found on the internet also use the disk utility.

will carbon plus create an EXACT copy? I have programs, where the links can't be changed. So they will crash if it's not identical.. But if they are, that's the way to go.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
CCC will be an exact copy...so links will be unaffected. What it (and any other method) can't copy are the attributes of the drive itself which a small number of applications use either for security or licensing/registration.

In my experience the two most common of these have been Microsoft Office 2011 (don't know about the newest version but I'd guess it's the same) and Dropbox. With Office, the user needs the original licensing info to reauthorize. Dropbox just needs a re-login.

seisbye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
don't understand what you mean.. are the backup programm CCC leaking your backups? But it worked like a charm.. i have now replaced RAM and HDD. in the mcb pro. and it's running smooth again.. thanks for the advice

seisbye

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
I did. and it worked perfectly.. just got confused on the comment on leaked into..

thanks for the advice

kiwipeso1

Suspended
Sep 17, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
don't understand what you mean.. are the backup programm CCC leaking your backups? But it worked like a charm.. i have now replaced RAM and HDD. in the mcb pro. and it's running smooth again.. thanks for the advice

Dropbox has a backdoor into your system, which leaves your system wide open to viruses and eavesdropping.
Mega.nz is almost as big a backdoor into your system also.

Delete these from your mac if you have anything you don't want to get shared without your permission.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.