Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maryellen_au

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2016
Brisbane Australia
OK my new mouse that came with my new 27" iMac needed charging.
Big FAIL on Apple's design, the port is on the underside of the mouse and you CANNOT use it whilst it is charging! Come on Apple, old style USB mouses had the cable at the back, why on earth put the charging port underneath and then disable the mouse? Fortunately I did have an "old fashioned" mouse I could use whilst the new one was charging, but I feel sorry for anyone who does not have a 'spare' mouse to use, as this effective means you cannot use your iMac either!!!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
It'll charge enough to give you 9 hours useage in 2 minutes so plug it in and make yourself a drink. By the time you're done you can use it again

Reactions: Gav2k

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple's design team at its best :rolleyes:

I do wonder if these design choices would ever make it out of 1 infinite loop, if Jobs was still around. I'm not to alway trot out that saying but seriously who in their right mind thought this was a good idea???

Capto_Capture 2016-12-10_06-59-04_AM.png

Reactions: skitexas and navier

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
Big FAIL on Apple's design, the port is on the underside of the mouse and you CANNOT use it whilst it is charging! Come on Apple, old style USB mouses had the cable at the back, why on earth put the charging port underneath and then disable the mouse? Fortunately I did have an "old fashioned" mouse I could use whilst the new one was charging, but I feel sorry for anyone who does not have a 'spare' mouse to use, as this effective means you cannot use your iMac either!!!

You simply have to be conscious of the fact that your mouse needs to charge without you using it, so keep an eye on the charge left and then pick any evening before you retire to bed etc to elect to charge the mouse.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
You could always sell the Magic Mouse 2 and use the resulting funds to buy a mouse that is more suitable.

mctrials23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2013
They backed themselves into a corner with that design really. They had 2 options. Stick the charging port on the bottom or redesign the mouse. They went for the easier one.

Reactions: g-7 and navier

barcode00

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2010
Can anyone tell me whether there is any indication of battery level on the Magic Mouse? How do you know it requires charing? Will it just stop functioning?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Can anyone tell me whether there is any indication of battery level on the Magic Mouse? How do you know it requires charing? Will it just stop functioning?
You can view the battery level in the Mouse/Trackpad/Keyboard preference panes in System Preferences, or in the Bluetooth preference pane, or via the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar (if it's there).

For example:

Screen Shot 2016-12-12 at 19.40.17.png

When the battery is low you receive a notification. When you get this, you will still have at least a few hours of charge left.

The batteries in the Magic accessories are quite big (the battery in the Magic Trackpad 2 is about the same size an iPhone's) and therefore charging isn't especially fast. However, a quick five minute charge will make it last for several more hours, or charge it for about two hours for a full charge.

Reactions: barcode00
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.