Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
After I installed Snow Leopard, I noted there was an upgrade to Capture NX2, now version 2.2.2. Unfortunately, that software won't open any of the NEF files from my D3.

I'm not sure if it's a Mac problem, a Snow Leopard problem, or an NX 2.2.2 problem.

Has anybody seen this?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Some kind of problem with Rosetta and the way it interacts with NC startup security. I'm not clear on how to disable Rosetta, but it will probably be simpler to just reinstall 2.2.0 until Nikon gets their act together (not holding my breath).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Sounds like it's a Nikon issue. For an alternative that does work in SL try Raw Photo Processor.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Really? That is rather interesting and totally acceptable as it would be preference, but what did you find about RPP that lacked over NX? I mean, let's not discuss the hog that NX is, NX is truly quality and prevails over anything else (before I saw RPP) when converting to JPEG, but RPP just happened to replace NX for me personally.

Not to derail your thread, perhaps this is something to discuss in a new thread, but anyway. If anything RPP works today, NX ... not so much yet.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Really? That is rather interesting and totally acceptable as it would be preference, but what did you find about RPP that lacked over NX? I mean, let's not discuss the hog that NX is, NX is truly quality and prevails over anything else (before I saw RPP) when converting to JPEG, but RPP just happened to replace NX for me personally.

Not to derail your thread, perhaps this is something to discuss in a new thread, but anyway. If anything RPP works today, NX ... not so much yet.
No, it's only 2.2.2 that doesn't work with SL, going back to 2.2.0 works fine.

RPP is fine as a converter, but I also want cropping, straightening, unsharp mask, real time change viewing.....all that editing stuff with histograms etc, and I'd like it all in one application. Capture NX2 is not great software overall, but it does it all, excellent quality. RPP is a nifty little program for what it does, I just need it to do more.

RickKC

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2007
After I installed Snow Leopard, I noted there was an upgrade to Capture NX2, now version 2.2.2. Unfortunately, that software won't open any of the NEF files from my D3.

I'm not sure if it's a Mac problem, a Snow Leopard problem, or an NX 2.2.2 problem.

Has anybody seen this?

Exact same thing here. Thanks for the info.

luminosity

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Arizona
Every time I open NX 2, I get a message from it telling me an upgrade is available.

Each time I close the message and ignore it.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
I'm running Leopard and NX2 2.2.2 works alright but very slow. I really would think it would run faster on my system. Which brings to point, I want to go with a new iMac but am worried NX will just run the same. I guess I would also want to stay with leopard in this case.:eek:

fayskelley

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2009
August 2010

any thing more recent

I have MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard 10.6.4
and cannot open my RAW files either ...

I can open them in Aperture, DxO Pro, but not Preview ...
that sounds like a Mac problem not Nikon ...

anyone find anything to open RAW files on the MAC
just to preview?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.