Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
anybody know if they make any of those? or is the best bet to just have someone hold it really steady....

i was maybe thinking about a gorilla pod since its portable and small, but don't know if they make any designated car mounts for cameras...thanks!

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
anybody know if they make any of those? or is the best bet to just have someone hold it really steady....

i was maybe thinking about a gorilla pod since its portable and small, but don't know if they make any designated car mounts for cameras...thanks!

You can get car mounts, I've used one before for shooting video. They have a tripod mount on them so you can attach a tripod plate to your camera. I wasn't the one who found the car mount so I'm not sure which one we had, but as far as I know they are somewhat expensive.

You should check with any local photo/ video gear rental shops, they'll probably have one you can rent or help you figure out where to buy one.

But, a quick Google search turned up this: http://www.filmtools.com/carmounts.html

jampat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2008
Are you shooting long exposures while actually driving? Or driving somewhere and then using your car as a tripod? A long exposure while driving will make a clear picture of the inside of the car and a mess outside (as basically everything is changing. You could just take the picture of the dash while stopped, then have someone handhold the camera while driving (then just crop and stretch the blurry outside shot to fill the dash pic).

Before you invest a lot in a mount, have someone hand hold and see if the shots come out as you envision. The mount can make shots slightly better, but I suspect if you are shooting while driving you will have difficulty getting something stiff enough to prevent relative motion between the camera and car.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
How about this?

17vvk.jpg

:p Vincet Laforet is using that for another video for Canon. Man how I would love to have access to just about anything rad on equipment.

hank-b

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2008
I've used a Manfrotto Super Clamp (attached to the headrest) before for in-car time-lapse films.

- HB

maddagascar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
How about this?

17vvk.jpg

:p Vincet Laforet is using that for another video for Canon. Man how I would love to have access to just about anything rad on equipment.

haha, that is pretty cool. even the benz looks like some incognito vehicle.

but i was talking about like, just driving on a nice city street and have your exposure setting to 10seconds to get a blur, but everything inside will be still. so that means driving on a smooth road and stuff, or even doing this in daytime.

i saw a really good photo of a guy in b&w color and he was very still in the left side mirror while the outside was blurred.

and not to sure what a time lapse is, besides the name speaking for itself..lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.