Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Does the "age" of a card reader make any difference for reading SDHD cards?

I have an older "many in one" USB card reader that probably predates the release of SDHD cards. When I start to use SDHD cards, will I be needing a new card reader?

If yes, any particular recommendations?

-hh

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
You'll likely need a new reader. If you have an expresscard34 slot, they make it easy to keep the reader with you, since it tiny in a bag or you can leave it in your laptop all the time.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
You'll likely need a new reader. If you have an expresscard34 slot, they make it easy to keep the reader with you, since it tiny in a bag or you can leave it in your laptop all the time.
Agree. Good route to take.

When I purchased my 16GB SDHC card it came with a nice, and fast, USB adapter. I had an older one that was much slower. So there definitely is a difference in USB card readers. Just be sure to get a fast one if you go this route. Well, unless you want to wait forever to copy/import your images (files). :)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Okay, so a new reader it is (and one more thing on the 'to do' list).

Insofar as ExpressCard34, I'd go that route for a laptop, once I get a laptop that has an EC34 slot. Currently, I'm still running at 12" G4 PowerMac.

-hh

fxstb2002

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
You might want to see if you can update the firmware or software drivers for it.

On my wife's Gateway, it was just a matter of updating the driver for the built-in one. (I don't know if this is the case for an external though)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.