Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Hi there,

I was curious how you folks carry your filters around. I have a Tiffen wallet, but it's big and also I'm not confident it will always isolate the filters from each other.

I did buy some metal end caps to try the "dense pack" route; but if I buy any thin-mount filters that won't work (since those generally don't have front threads) - plus I get a bit paranoid when I'm trying to screw two expensive filters together. Maybe I'm just clumsier than average, but lining the threads up correctly is sometimes a chore for me.

Do any of you own the Kata accordion filter pouch?

On a related note - how do you carry your rectangular filters, if you have any? (I don't, currently; but I'm thinking about picking up some graduated NDs reasonably soon).

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences!

AllanMarcus

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2004
I use a similar filter wallet for my round filters. For my Cokin P square filter, they come in a hard case. I have three of these (ND filters) that I just carry in a ziplock with the mounting hardware. They just go in an outside pocket of my camera backpack.

-Allan

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
I use a cheap tamrac case ($14 from adorama http://www.adorama.com/TRMXS5363.html ) for 3 round filters. I prefer it to wallets that fold open because it has good padding between filters, holds my 77mm filters without being too tight and it's easier to deal with in the field. But then again it only holds 3 filters.

I thought about stacking filters but my CP filter has no threads and integrating my 67mm filters and adapter rings down to 62mm was just too complicated, so i just use the 77mm cases that came with my tiffen filters for my 67mm filters and the step-up rings. I find the hardest part of using filters to be screwing them on quickly, so the less screwing the better...er...well, you get it.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
How exactly do you mount a sqaure grad ND? I've always wondered...

Anyways, I wondered what you guys (volvoben in particular) thought about the use of step down/up rings. are they too clumsy? Also, how can you use them with a hood?

Thanks,
wmmk

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

With a holder, like AllanMarcus talked about. Some people just hold them in front of the lens with their hand though.

Anyways, I wondered what you guys (volvoben in particular) thought about the use of step down/up rings. are they too clumsy? Also, how can you use them with a hood?

I'm not volvoben :D but a lot of people use step-up rings so they don't need to buy duplicate filters for every lens. This is what I'm starting to do, too - standardizing on 77mm filters.

The only hood that'll work, as far as I know, is the screw-in type - so that's not optimal.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ

Take a look at the Cokin filter system. The best part of the square NDs is that you can slide the split up and down on your viewfinder to match the horizon. If you were using a screw on type filter, you're pretty much limited to shooting with your horizon centered. But then again, I don't know if they even make round grad NDs.

sjl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Take a look at the Cokin filter system. The best part of the square NDs is that you can slide the split up and down on your viewfinder to match the horizon. If you were using a screw on type filter, you're pretty much limited to shooting with your horizon centered. But then again, I don't know if they even make round grad NDs.

Yes, you can get grad NDs in a round, filter-thread-mount form. However, as you've noted, such a setup is limited to having the separation running through the centre of the shot. Sometimes that works; more often, it doesn't. For ultra wide lenses, though, it may be the only way to get the shot without the filter holder getting in the way - I've just bought the EF-S 10-22mm, and I'm expecting to get the holder in the sides of the shot when I test it with my Cokin filters. Maybe if I get a second holder, and shave it down to just a single filter ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.