Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
I currently have the 15 Pro Max in Natural Titanium and only have a few faint scratches on the bottom of the device (the usb-c side)

I’m glad I’ve chosen natural titanium because you can barely see the scratches.

However i’m curious of those who got the black and blue titanium colors and how those have fared. Thinking of switching up colors for the 16 Pro Max so wondering how bad the scratches can get. Pics would be great!

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
IMG_0651.jpeg

I’ll start. Here’s mine in Natural Titanium. Scratches really look worse in the photo than in person.

Caseless since launch. Only used a screen protector (pictured)

Reactions: Fred Zed

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Only one scuff on my blue titanium 15 Pro Max which was actually caused by an Apple silicone case when it fell onto a wooden floor. No other mark or scratches since I’ve been using it caseless. Screen protector on.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.jpeg
    IMG_2755.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 50

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Only one scuff on my blue titanium 15 Pro Max which was actually caused by an Apple silicone case when it fell onto a wooden floor. No other mark or scratches since I’ve been using it caseless. Screen protector on.

Wow that looks pretty noticeable. Interesting that was caused by an Apple Silicone case.

Knowing this, would you have switched colors if you could or does it not bother you as much?

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Looks terrible however it seems like such a severe drop that your phone would’ve ended up with either a massive dent or a shattered screen/back if you weren’t using the case. I had been using an Apple silicon case with my 12 Mini and dropped that phone many times with no damage caused to it, I think you’ve just been massively unlucky.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Wow that looks pretty noticeable. Interesting that was caused by an Apple Silicone case.

Knowing this, would you have switched colors if you could or does it not bother you as much?

I was very surprised to see such damage whilst in the Apple silicone case. It doesn’t bother me so much tbh. I have AppleCare if the worst should happen!

Looks terrible however it seems like such a severe drop that your phone would’ve ended up with either a massive dent or a shattered screen/back if you weren’t using the case. I had been using an Apple silicon case with my 12 Mini and dropped that phone many times with no damage caused to it, I think you’ve just been massively unlucky.

Very unlucky! That was certainly the impact point! Just onto a laminate wood floor from waist height. I had a 15 Pro before the Pro Max and it fell onto the same floor with no case… there was zero damage, not even a scratch!

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
Ive never owned an iPhone 15 Pro but that screen protector looks to be sitting very high. Curious about this.
i guess the photo looks like the screen protector is thick but it’s really unnoticeable in daily use.

I basically never drop my phone so it’s mostly to prevent scratches on the actual display

Hornby

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2018
White titanium 15 pro Max with a few scratches from about the first week I had it last October. I tripped and it flew into some gravel.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpeg
    IMG_0183.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 60

eoblaed

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2010
  1. I have a dedicated pocket for my phone (front left). Only two things go in that pocket: my phone and my hand. Nothing else, not even receipts.
  2. I don't set my phone down on hard surfaces. Yeah, that can be a pain, but it's the price I pay for going case-less and keeping my phone pristine.
  3. I don't drop it. I know that sounds trite, but what I mean by this is that every time I have it in my hand, and I could be in a potentially compromising position (e.g., in public, in an area with lots of people, heavy wind, etc), I consciously hold it with a more secure grip.
My case-less 15PM that I got on launch day looks as new as the day I got it (well, fingerprints, but ya know). The two times I've damaged phones over the years, a case wouldn't have helped (especially the time my 3GS went into the laundry ... oops).

Not everyone that goes case-less will follow similar rules, and that's fine. I do it because I like to go case-less and I like to keep my phone in pristine condition and I'm willing to go through silly lengths to do so :)

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I was very surprised to see such damage whilst in the Apple silicone case. It doesn’t bother me so much tbh. I have AppleCare if the worst should happen!

Very unlucky! That was certainly the impact point! Just onto a laminate wood floor from waist height. I had a 15 Pro before the Pro Max and it fell onto the same floor with no case… there was zero damage, not even a scratch!
You were very lucky then with the previous drop. I guess your luck has evened out then. If you hadn’t had a case this time I reckon it would’ve been a disaster for your phone as it landed on the corner. I hope you’re able to go without a case now and not drop your phone anymore. A lot of users here are saying you’re subconsciously more careful when handling a caseless phone because you are aware a drop may have serious consequences.

I don’t like the idea of going caseless because I dropped my iPhone 13 on a solid concrete carpark surface and it cracked the screen protector. My case saved the chassis and the screen protector saved my screen. I was fortunate my phone remained in perfect condition due to the protection.

Neofox

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2024
I don’t like the idea of going caseless because I dropped my iPhone 13 on a solid concrete carpark surface and it cracked the screen protector. My case saved the chassis and the screen protector saved my screen.
Not saying the screen protector was useless but they tend to break very easily. A drop that would have left the screen pristine may break a screen protector..

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Not saying the screen protector was useless but they tend to break very easily. A drop that would have left the screen pristine may break a screen protector..
A high quality screen protector, such as one from Spigen, will not break easily. I only use premium screen protectors and I’ve had 1 break in 7 years and it was a horrendous drop that would’ve 100% smashed my screen.

JamesMcFlyJR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2016
kinda makes sense that they break easily

better for the impact of the drop to shatter the screen protector aka lessening the shock to the actual device

than for the screen protector to be shatterproof and have the shock of the drop shatter the actual display of the iphone.

kinda like crumple zones in cars. rather have the body of the car crumple than the actual people inside

Last edited:
Reactions: Andeddu
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.