Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taberrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
NY
Hi, I tried searching but didn't find anything on this topic - I want to record some videos demoing features of my app similar to how Apple does between 01:04 and 01:10 in this video: http://images.apple.com/media/us/ip...iphone6s-feature-cc-us-20150909_1280x720h.mp4

Notice how the phone stays completely still but the fingers slightly move around it, almost like the phone is anchored down, and the hand is lightly gripping it. Is this some kind of case or mount they're using that attaches to the back of the phone? If so, does anyone know where I can buy one?

Thanks!

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
you don't need a mount, just some camera trickery and proper lighting.

here's a quick and dirty example i put together with 2 business cards on a table:

j3oei5s.gif

(the movement is from my shakey left hand :) )

here's the side view:

5SY0XAW.jpg

taberrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
NY
you don't need a mount, just some camera trickery and proper lighting.

here's a quick and dirty example i put together with 2 business cards on a table:
<snip>

Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. That would be perfect if I didn't actually have to interact with the phone. But since I do, I think the phone will need to be anchored down or stabilized in some way. :(

beernut

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2016
you actually could interact with the phone in that demo setup above if it's just taps.

If you need more physical interaction like 3d touch / home button / side buttons, then
2 pegs glued to a table (instead of folded business cards :D ) and any ol' case you have lying around glued to those pegs should do it

taberrr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
NY
you actually could interact with the phone in that demo setup above if it's just taps.

If you need more physical interaction like 3d touch / home button / side buttons, then
2 pegs glued to a table (instead of folded business cards :D ) and any ol' case you have lying around glued to those pegs should do it

True, good idea! I don't have any spare cases laying around, but now I'm wondering if some kind of suction mount/peg hybrid would work... it doesn't look like they're using a case at all in the video. Hmm.

mysterydate

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Waseca, MN
True, good idea! I don't have any spare cases laying around, but now I'm wondering if some kind of suction mount/peg hybrid would work... it doesn't look like they're using a case at all in the video. Hmm.
Carpet tape on both sides of a small brick of wood. Foam tape may flex and rebound too much. If you want the naked look, you can stick it right to the iPhone. A little Naptha or Goo-gone will take care of any residue. Lighting it might be troublesome, but a single source will give you the least amount of shadows. The screen will reflect everything, so wear pants and avoid ceiling fixtures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.