Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceblade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
edit: (Apologies, I should have been more specific in the thread title, I meant to put used or new cameras in there, but forgot. Again, my apologies.)/edit

Well, some of you probably remember one of my old threads asking which camera to buy (though I know you guys also see hundreds of those). I've decided which two models I am interested in, due to the money I can spend. The question now, is, which is a better use of the money?

I have started looking at a Nikon D50, because it has the autofocus in body... I haven't been able to find if it has a sensor cleaner yet. Its about $350 used, from what I've read. Is buying a used Nikon D50 off ebay a fairly safe bet (if I make sure it is in working condition before I bid on it?), or are they prone to die early deaths?

Second one I was thinking about was a Cannon XS(1000D), $450 new off Cameta, I think. The problem is, I just barely have $450, and of course, I'll need some kind of good, protective case to carry it around in.

My question is not Nikon or Cannon. I've come to the realization that I can probably do whatever I want with either system, and I'm not planning to get into it too deep, for now. My question is how safe is it to buy a used dSLR off ebay (I haven't found the d50 used at any other respectable photography website that I have heard of, though I am sure there are respectable sites that have it that I haven't heard of), does anyone have suggestions for good, protective cases for the above cameras (just basic is fine. I'll get a bigger for more lenses later), and are there any other accessories I should purchase with a camera? I guess I could go without a case, but I am going to a week of summer camp as a counselor for 4-6th grade kids, and I was thinking about bringing the camera along with me, which of course, would require a case.

So, let me sum up what I am looking for answers to:
Used Nikon D50 or New Canon XS(1000D) (brand doesn't matter... Just reliability, and best value for money, brands aside)?
Case or no case (from the day I get the camera)?
Anything else I HAVE to have with a new camera?(I have SD cards, and storage is fairly cheap, anyway)

Thank you everyone! Sorry for the long, confusing post... I'm just trying to make sure I do the right things from the get go.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Don't use eBay for used DSLRs unless you're really willing to take that risk.

Check out KEH. (KEH.com)

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ Now now, in all fairness to eBay sellers (I have been one of them) you just have to be careful as eBay or riskBay is risky for anything these days. KEH is great but eBay may have more options to buy.

Nikon or Canon? I'd go new before used a this point.

Case? Yes, but that is going to be an everlasting quest to find the right bag for your needs. I've been through at least 7 not counting the ones I was given. You should have something to put your gear into.

iceblade

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2008
I posted this on another forum to get as many view points as possible, and someone pointed out that the canon xs at Cameta is just the body... No lens, or thats what I seemed to understand. But I found a refurbished for $20 more with lens from Adorama. Is there anything I should be worried about with refurbished? I've heard that refurbished is generally fine (specifically about Apple computers though), but just checking?
Thanks!

jello22

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
^ Now now, in all fairness to eBay sellers (I have been one of them) you just have to be careful as eBay or riskBay is risky for anything these days. KEH is great but eBay may have more options to buy.
smile.gif

I agree completely...I have had some great buys on eBay...just need to be careful. Always look for the quaility of feedback and how many items they have sold. If it's a powerseller...your pretty much golden!

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I've sold camera gear on eBay too. However, a lot of the time, the person selling the equipment is not a photographer--and doesn't necessarily know what to look for wrt to damage, marks, etc.

What I've found is that I have two primary cases: I have a small bag that holds a camera body w/ "short" lens, additional (small) lens, and (small) speedlight, and a set of two pelican cases (ok, three cases) for when I'm traveling/setting up a portable studio. Being able to choose between lightweight and everything on each assignment lets me avoid having to get a bag that tries to go both ways (thereby never giving me what I want).

miket019

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2007
California
I've bought refurbish a few times and I would recommend it to everyone, it's a great way to save money and from my experience they are as good as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.