Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
In defense of the casio, it's 60fps at 6MP, which is faster than my gargantuan Canon 1D at a higher resolution. That said, that does seem a bit fishy to me...

EDIT:Oh wait, it's a prototype. Wow. I also made myself a prototype 4-2400mm f/1 IS DO yesterday to match my nine gagazijabillabrazillizillibillimillion megapixel camera which is waterproof to the point that I can fill my camerabag with water to drink while I'm shooting. Yup, prototypes with outrageous specs are suuure hard to make up.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^The difference is that nobody made up such a prototype, as that would be impossible. This is a prototype, but it works, as is shown in the videos.

The point is that the user can shoot fast enough, and at a high enough resolution to show movement in slow motion. This would be great for things like analysing a tennis swing, as demonstrated in the video on the site. Lots of people are dying for this sort of thing at a price low enough for consumers to purchase. Think about sports. Think about any coach starting from the high school level, down to more elite athletes. Sure, it's not 1000 frames/second like some of the super-expensive machines, but someone looking to analyse a golf swing, or how a person going through physio moves is going to appreciate this. ;)

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
Aaaw, I thought this would be a thread about calculators like the casio fx 82-es:

fx82esimageqt1.jpg

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
mmmmhmmm

60fps seems like the magic number when dealing with interlaced video...

maybe its really just a fancy camcorder with the video part taken out and replaced with something that takes "video" as a bunch of still frames? :rolleyes:

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I have a D70 which shoots at 6.1...

I feel like 60fps at 6mgpz would be... cheating? it's like you're taking the skill out of it. Although I do like it from a sports coaching perspective, as has been previously noted.

cube

Suspended
Original poster
May 10, 2004
I feel like 60fps at 6mgpz would be... cheating? it's like you're taking the skill out of it.

Autofocus is cheating, priority modes are cheating, matrix metering is cheating, ...

xper

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2005
Sweden - Halmstad
Nothing is cheating, it´s just a tool for making as good pictures as possible or are you using those old card board box cameras used in the 18-hundreds?

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
The d70 shoots 3 fps.

6.1 megapixels

Nothing is cheating, it´s just a tool for making as good pictures as possible or are you using those old card board box cameras used in the 18-hundreds?

Of course! What's better for football? I mean... you aren't using one of those new-fangled 35mm cameras are you? Because "momma says that's the devil"

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
They are showing it at the IFA.

Engadget says they told them it would ship in 2008.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/31/hands-on-with-casios-60fps-digital-camera/

VGA is 480p, so this is better than an SD camera for video at 300fps.

At 60fps you're getting 6MP (half of Red One).

Why do you complain?

PS: It's a pity they used SDHC instead of Compact Flash. It's not a tiny camera.
Lol, dubious comparison if ever. You can get 6MP cell phones in Korea now...and what of it? Red One shoots in 4k progressive, it's awesome...and cheap by 4k standards, or even most 2k solutions...it's revolutionary. Casio?

Sorry, my HS Spanish is all but forgotten. I don't see the way they are calculating. 300fps SD? is how as to what resolution in 60fps? as compared to what else?

Here's a nice fast (as in wicked insanely great high-speed) high-speed DV camera with 1 microsecond exposures too!...good thing it's only 800 x 600, just think of the bandwith SAN (cluster of Xserves?) of penta bytes capacity you'd need to record in 4k at those speeds :eek:

http://www.visionresearch.com/index.cfm?sector=htm/files&page=camera_v73_new

These sensors also continue to offer the advanced features of our previous designs including the on-chip circuitry that provides true "snap shot" shutter capabilities, auto exposure, and pixel level Extreme Dynamic Range® (EDR) control to extend picture quality in harsh lighting conditions.

These Phantom sensors offer 14-bit depth resulting in outstanding image quality and sensitivity. The v7.3 color image sensors have a user selectable bit depth of 24, 36, or 48 bit color images...

The Phantom v7.3 supplies a full frame recording rate of 6,688pps, with a maximum windowed speed of over 190,000pps making it the fastest continuously recording digital camera in existence! The 14 bit mono, or 24, 36, 48 bit color options not only allow for fast recording speeds but also the "pretty pictures" that have made the v7 series cameras the leading choice for broadcast production of fast action sports.

NEW! Our v7.3 cameras now include a new turbo mode to increase recording speeds for selected windowed resolutions to as high as 500,000 pictures per second with 1 µsecond exposure times.

jlcharles

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
Wenonah, NJ
The media should make no difference to fps. The shots get thrown to the buffer first before getting written to disk. A faster memory card would only clear the buffer faster, allowing for a longer continuous burst.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.