Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomahawk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Osaka, Japan
So i've been using a small backpack and its been sort of a nuisance to have to take my bag off and unzip the bag to get my camera when i want to take a shot on the spot and stuff. I run around the City, urban areas, beaches, forests and stuff. basically im a runner for people on a bike. you could say bike messenger but not really.

But mainly its for when i go out to do an errand or just want to explore new places in the city or mountains. easy to access and safe and sturdy.

now im wondering if there are any casual, daily walk, photographers who could give me advice on a bag to hold a Camera and a lens or 2. with some extra room for purchased goods or jackets/apparel.

i was looking at the lowepro flipside 200 but it doesnt seem that it would hold a lot of my other stuff (non-camera related)

thanks for your time!

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
i was looking at the lowepro flipside 200 but it doesnt seem that it would hold a lot of my other stuff (non-camera related)

thanks for your time!

I have the lowepro fastpack. It can hold one camerabody, 3 lenses. There's room for a flash as well. In the back there's room for a laptop, or books/maps whatever (very useful!). The main compartment can hold a jacket, but only just. And there's room for a bottle on the outside. I've been very happy with it.
It's accessible when I'm carrying it.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
I bought a Kata DR-465 backpack a few months ago. It holds all my camera has room for a couple of lenses (and laptop) and I can take a raincoat/some shopping in the top section as well. So far I've had no complains with it, and it seems very well made and is comfortable on my back.

CK Williams

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
Las Vegas
Everyday bag

I have been using the Tenba Messenger for several months now and have found it to be a good choice for my needs. I wanted a bag to carry a DSLR w/grip + 2 - 3 lenses along with misc. items. The larger of the two sizes of cases holds more than I would want to regularly carry around. It easily holds my 70-200 2.8, though not upright when attached to the camera. There is also room for a laptop or books. What I like is the ability to unzip the top and access the contents without having to open the flap. An added benefit is the ability to find it in colors other than black.

iTiki

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Maui, Hawaii
Crumpler

I'm using a Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Bag. It holds my D90 with Lens attached and 2 addtional lenses or 1 addtional lens and flash. It also has a small outside pocket for filters and other small stuff. You can access the camera and lenses without have to remove the bag from your shoulder. Drawback would be no room for clothing or other non camera items. Nice and compact, though. Great quality, too.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
I use a Domke F-3X for my everyday multipurpose camera bag, a Domke F-5XB for my minimalist camera bag, and a Crumpler Part and Parcel for my everyday multipurpose general bag.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
I use a canvas messenger bag I got off ebay (search "jack bauer bag"). I bought a small six pack sized soft-cooler and cut the lid off. I place that cooler in my bag, and put the camera in the soft-cooler. It works great and has survived quite a few trips very well. Plus, it doesn't look like a camera bag. which for me, is a bonus! On top of that, I was out maybe $20 for the whole setup and I can still fit a coat, a bottle of water, my netbook and a paperback in there to pass the time.

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
I've grown tired of shoulder bags. Currently have a lowepro stealth reporter 300 and a crumpler whickey and cox. Both of which have been somewhat disappointing for me. I have my eye on a Tenba shootout sling, next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.