Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Catalina on my Mac Pro is on its own SSD. All has been well until today.

This morning I received a report from one of my engineers that she had run into trouble after installing Catalina in its own volume. Mojave Sleep ended with crashes and the system was not stable after Catalina was also installed on the system. I had not observed this running Mojave, HighSierra, and Catalina in a shared container on my 4TB MacBook Pro disk. I was skeptical.

Then my Mac Pro started behaving oddly. Mouse behavior was erratic. When I reset SMC and NVRAM, the system would not let me log in showing a spinning ball after entering the password. Booting into HighSierra on the system I was able to log in, but drives did not enumerate in Disk Utility and the Startup Utility also did not show startup drives.

I reverted Mojave to 10.14.5 because that had been very reliable, but the problems persisted.

Given the drive issue and my engineers problem I disconnected the Catalina SSD and -- all is well.

Not sure what is causing it but my suspicion is that Catalina does something to NVRAM and low level behavior. I will stabilize the system before taking another look at the Catalina disk structure etc.

I previously would not have believed this was likely - caveat emptor!

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Turns out the PCIE eSata controller port fro the Catalina disk died. It also corrupted the disk.
Luckily I had just done a CCC clone and a restore worked after isolating the problem.

Now for more hardware...

Reactions: h9826790
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.