Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Till_Muc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
One World
Trying to connect with AFP from Catalina (19A536g) to a server running Mojave is not possible. Any ideas?

I am using Cmd K to open the connection, entering afp://[server-ip] – than insert name and PW – this results in spinning wheel forever.

- Login and PW both double checked - they work on Mojave:Mojave connection
- I tried deleting network preferences in System Configuration than reboot. No success
- connecting via browser to that server is possible
- connecting with VNC is possible
- connecting with SMB is not supported by server

I am clueless and appreciate any hint or help :)

T I L L

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
Trying to connect with AFP from Catalina (19A536g) to a server running Mojave is not possible. Any ideas?

I am using Cmd K to open the connection, entering afp://[server-ip] – than insert name and PW – this results in spinning wheel forever.

- Login and PW both double checked - they work on Mojave:Mojave connection
- I tried deleting network preferences in System Configuration than reboot. No success
- connecting via browser to that server is possible
- connecting with VNC is possible
- connecting with SMB is not supported by server

I am clueless and appreciate any hint or help :)

T I L L

It must be an issue with the Mojave server, it sounds like. My Catalina connects just fine to all AFP servers and they aren’t even Apple devices.

Till_Muc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
One World
It must be an issue with the Mojave server, it sounds like. My Catalina connects just fine to all AFP servers and they aren’t even Apple devices.

Thanks – if so, it must be an issue Catalina <=> Mojave since all Mojave <=> Mojave connections work fine.

Till_Muc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
One World
i played a little with the user's settings on the server.
- New user, new password: No success - no login possible (Catalina to Mojave).
- Old user, new login (mail address), new password - no success either.
- Old user, assign new password and ask the user to change his password - that worked. But only once. No more after the next reboot.

At the same time, I always tested a Mojave login to Mojave - it always worked. I conclude that the server is ok.

Today there was an update (Beta 6) - after that the login worked.

(I haven't yet tested if this works beyond the reboot - I'll report)

Till_Muc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
One World
Unfortunately, it didn't improve. It's a "working - not working - game". Playing around with the credentials on the server side - change password or login etc. succeeds. Occasionally and arbitrarily …

inkhorn

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
I recently abandoned AFP (netatalk) and moved to Samba 4.9.5.

It was a pain to determine what the config file really needed (I didn't want netbios/printers/dns/winbind/etc), but I think I got there. Performance is good and Catalina seems to negotiate sensible security options :

smb.conf : https://gist.github.com/tomtastic/930ec8c08843ed9cb2d899d9a80d81f5
dfree : https://gist.github.com/tomtastic/9001d801622195d5cda67f57915ec502

Code:
$ smbutil statshares -a

==================================================================================================
SHARE                         ATTRIBUTE TYPE                VALUE
==================================================================================================
Time Machine
                              SERVER_NAME                   nibbler
                              USER_ID                       501
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB1_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB2_ENABLED
                              SMB_NEGOTIATE                 SMBV_NEG_SMB3_ENABLED
                              SMB_VERSION                   SMB_3.02
                              SMB_SHARE_TYPE                DISK
                              SIGNING_SUPPORTED             TRUE
                              EXTENDED_SECURITY_SUPPORTED   TRUE
                              UNIX_SUPPORT                  TRUE
                              LARGE_FILE_SUPPORTED          TRUE
                              OS_X_SERVER                   TRUE
                              FILE_LEASING_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              MULTI_CREDIT_SUPPORTED        TRUE
                              ENCRYPTION_SUPPORTED          TRUE

NB: Setting "smb encrypt = required" resulted in 40% slower speeds in my experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pow! and Till_Muc

Till_Muc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2019
One World
Worth moving to SMB? …

Thanks for this hint and no, I did not yet dive into that. I gave it a fast try but the result is absolutely the same as in AFP …
[doublepost=1567493220][/doublepost]I have found a transitional / emergency solution that is apparently reproducible. I assign a new PW to the user on the server and force that User to set a new PW at the next login. This has helped for now (for a few times).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.