Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Afternoon all,

As my photo collection has grown I'm thinking I should really spend some time indexing and cataloging it correctly.

I do any editing in CS3 on my Mac, but work and travel with a Windows notebook. I often have spare time on trains/in hotel rooms with my Windows laptop.

So I was wondering if anyone knew of any reasonably priced software (or even better freeware) that I could do the indexing/cataloging on either machine, and 'sync' up the changes between both machines?

I normally store all my photos on the Mac and back them to a Windows Home Server, so I'd want to transfer batches to the PC, index them and copy the index back to Mac...

cheers for any ideas!

regards,

Greg

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
Try looking into lightroom. Dunno if it offers this functionality, but if a program did that's where I'd look first.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
the problem with lightroom is I'd have to stump up for 2 licenses, one for the PC and one for the Mac, which ain't cheap!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So I was wondering if anyone knew of any reasonably priced software (or even better freeware) that I could do the indexing/cataloging on either machine,...

The first thing that comes to mind is iPhoto.

I always recommend to people to use iPhoto until they can enumerate some good reasons not to. Aperure does allow more flexibility and handles a wider range of meta-data types but iPhoto does what most people need and the upgrade from iPhoto to Aperture is very easy. iPhoto is not technically "free" but it is included with every new Mac so you should already have a copy.

You say you are backing up the files on the PC. You don't need PC software for that "files are files"

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Hi Chris,

No I back files up to a network storage system.

I want to do some cataloging whilst I travel, which would be on a PC, then sync it up to the Mac.

Hence iPhoto isn't a solution as it won't run on the PC....

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
^ That might be true, but as he would use Lightroom on two different computers, he might have to buy two (2) licences.

But sometimes the are exceptions, which are specified in the EULA, that you can use one licence on as many (or 2) computers as you want, but never at the same time.

As to the OP: If you're a student or in any other educational capacity, you could get a education discount from Adobe.
Or try eBay.

spatry

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2008
the problem with lightroom is I'd have to stump up for 2 licenses, one for the PC and one for the Mac, which ain't cheap!

Lightroom comes with dual license. You can run LR on a pc (hence my laptop) and on OS X (my iMac).

From the LR F.A.Q:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshoplightroom/faq/

How many computers are covered by a single license of Photoshop Lightroom 2?

Subject to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement, the primary user of the computer on which Photoshop Lightroom 2 (the "Software") is installed may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable computer or a computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary computer. You may be required to contact Adobe to make a second copy. Lightroom is sold as multiplatform software, which means it can be installed on either Mac OS X or Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.