Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EstorilM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2007
So, we knew Keelo (thoroughbred) wanted some room to run, he was just kinda pacing around the paddock. I was also in the process of giving a photography lesson to my friends horse camp kids, so I figured it'd be a good chance to help them work on timing and stuff. As soon as we let Keelo out he started messing with Ultimo (the Andalusian.. think Gandalf's horse from lord of the rings) and eventually they both started running back and forth together - pretty much my dream shot. I've been doing equine sports photography for years and had yet to catch a good action shot in the field. :D :D

EQA_1392b.jpg

EQA_1406.jpg

Also got a few decent portrait type shots...

EQA_1369.jpg

EQA_1340.jpg

EQA_1347.jpg

Generic EXIF (mostly the same for all the shots.. if I had known my shutter speeds were so fast I probably would have lowered my ISO to ~160 or so.. I was keeping my aperture wide for DOF reasons.)
First shot:
Camera Model: NIKON D200
Exposure Time: 1/3200 sec
F-Number: f/3.2
Exposure Program: Aperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating: 250
Metering Mode: Pattern
Light Source: Fine Weather
Focal Length: 110.00 mm
White Balance: SUNNY
Image Sharpening: MED.H
Image Optimization: CUSTOM

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I really like the second one especially, the fact that the horse is off of the ground with a flowing mane really gives it a sense of the motion that you captured. Catching the motion like that is always an interesting task. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.