Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
So I've been looking at the new Canon SX cameras a lot, and the biggest question I have is is the SX1 worth it over the SX10 based on the different sensors (so would the SX1 take clearer pictures at high ISO sensitivities and what not as compared to the SX10)?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So I've been looking at the new Canon SX cameras a lot, and the biggest question I have is is the SX1 worth it over the SX10 based on the different sensors (so would the SX1 take clearer pictures at high ISO sensitivities and what not as compared to the SX10)?

If your primary concern is image quality and high ISO ability why not go with an entry level SLR? Any SLR will be much better than either of these. The price is not much different and the SLR is not much different in terms of weight and size either.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I'm even more confused when it comes to SLRs, and I don't know how often I'd use full manual controls.

You don't need to use the manual controls, but if you have the SLR you at least have the option. All modern SLRs come with full automatic and scene settings just like PnS cameras, so you can hit the ground running. The real benefit is the large sensor size and the ability to change lenses. The large sensor size means less noise and more dynamic range, and the ability to change lenses means more creative control and better quality glass.

To get a sense of how the sensor sizes differ, have a look at this image:

(click to enlarge)
DSLRsensors.png

The tiny little boxes at the bottom are PnS (point-and-shoot) sensors.

For the other issues, see my post here.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
Well, I looked into SLRs enough that I know I still do have the option. The confusion about SLRs I had was which brand. I know that I should be considering the lenses and not the bodies, but even then I don't know what kind of specific needs I'd have. I mean, most of the pictures I take that make me frustrated with my current camera (and ELPH SD800) are scenery or event pictures.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Well, I looked into SLRs enough that I know I still do have the option. The confusion about SLRs I had was which brand. I know that I should be considering the lenses and not the bodies, but even then I don't know what kind of specific needs I'd have. I mean, most of the pictures I take that make me frustrated with my current camera (and ELPH SD800) are scenery or event pictures.

It does take some research to make a good decision about which brand to start out with, especially now that there are so many entry-level cameras to choose from. A lot of people recommend going to a store and playing with a bunch of them, just to see which brand fits your hands best and which controls seem most intuitive to you. Price will of course determine a lot, unless it's not an issue for you.

This forum is also a great place to ask questions, so feel free. There are some really knowledgeable photographers here who are more than happy to offer advice.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
It does take some research to make a good decision about which brand to start out with, especially now that there are so many entry-level cameras to choose from. A lot of people recommend going to a store and playing with a bunch of them, just to see which brand fits your hands best and which controls seem most intuitive to you. Price will of course determine a lot, unless it's not an issue for you.

This forum is also a great place to ask questions, so feel free. There are some really knowledgeable photographers here who are more than happy to offer advice.

Well, price is the big issue, which is what made me think about getting a point-and-shoot with manual modes.

But at any rate, I've toyed around with Sony, Nikon, and Canon bodies, and I didn't come out with any particular preferences (my brand biases were eliminated, though). It's just I don't know what lens system I would be better off diving into, which is probably the other main factor.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
But at any rate, I've toyed around with Sony, Nikon, and Canon bodies, and I didn't come out with any particular preferences (my brand biases were eliminated, though). It's just I don't know what lens system I would be better off diving into, which is probably the other main factor.

You'll get arguments from all over, but I believe that Nikon has the best wide (12-30mm) and normal (30-105mm) lenses, and Canon has the best long zooms. I became a Nikon shooter because I was enamored by the sheer quality of Nikon glass.

Cameras came second, and it only took me a second to dislike the layout and handling of (most) Canons.

butterfly0fdoom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Camp Snoopy
You'll get arguments from all over, but I believe that Nikon has the best wide (12-30mm) and normal (30-105mm) lenses, and Canon has the best long zooms. I became a Nikon shooter because I was enamored by the sheer quality of Nikon glass.

Cameras came second, and it only took me a second to dislike the layout and handling of (most) Canons.

Well, if I usually take day-to-day and scenery shots, would I be better off with Canon or Nikon? It seems like they're somewhat conflicting (I'd think day-to-day shots need more wide and it seems scenery needs more zoom, but I'm not really sure.....?).

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
off to a good start

i fully agree with the advice you've been given so far

there is a HUGE quality difference between a dSLR and a PandS even if you only ever use the auto and scene settings

i wouldn't get too caught up in brand or lens choices either-think about it this way: if you went the PandS route, you wouldn't even have a choice

just go to a camera shop and get yours hands on some cameras and see what feels right

then...enjoy it and take a lot of photos! (a lot of people forget about this:)

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan

Bear in mind that if you are at all interested in taking video then the SX1 would be worth seriously considering. It is capable of 1920 x 1080 High Definition movie recording, which is quite amazing for a digicam. I am looking to buy a new cam myself next month, and am looking between the Canon G10, Canon SX1 and the Panasonic ZM28. The SX1 isn't out yet even here in Japan in most shops, but come December when it is I will be having a long look at it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.