Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zezee3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
What does this mean?..... The disc can't be burned, because the device failed to
calibrate the laser power level for this media.

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
What type of media are you using? What CD burner? I've never seen that message and have burned many CD/DVDs. Apparently, the burner and media are mismatched, taking the message at face value. Are you using DU, or some burning software?

zezee3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
What type of media are you using? What CD burner? I've never seen that message and have burned many CD/DVDs. Apparently, the burner and media are mismatched, taking the message at face value. Are you using DU, or some burning software?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 12.00.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 12.00.23 PM.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 218

zezee3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Apparently,
Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 12.00.23 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 12.00.23 PM.jpg internal CD burner is not functioning any longer When I put a CD in it, it spits it right back out now.
[doublepost=1536007987][/doublepost]Actually I did not purchase that drive. i have an older 2010 iMAC 27" desktop, with a CD burner, but I think the burner has gone to the hills now. so I am just looking for a nice burner that will work for me, I do a lot of videos with my iPad and an older camera, recording my hubby while he plays and sings, solo, and then put them on a disc. i can no longer do that anymore.
i truly think this burner in my iMac has gone kaput.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The DVD/CD drives in iMacs -do- have a tendency to "get flaky".

Have you tried using a CD "drive cleaner" on it?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If the internal DVD/CD drive won't work properly anymore, you can buy an EXTERNAL USB DVD/CD drive for less than $25. Will work just fine.

Or... if you have any interest in the higher-capacity Bluray discs... you can get a BD/DVD/CD burner. But these will cost more -- expect $100-120.

If you want to "archive stuff" to optical discs, I suggest you buy a burner that has "M-DISC" capabilities.
M-DISCs don't use "dyes" to record the data. Instead, they use an inorganic mineral-based compound.
The result is that M-DISCs are touted to have a much longer lifespan than that of a "dye-based" CD.
We're talking about hundreds of years here. I'm sure that will be "long enough" for you!

zezee3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2015
Virginia, USA
Thank you Fisherman for this help of info about CD burners. I record a lot of music/song videos in my hubby's music studio of him singing and playing. and i always would put them on Disc., but now my disc is no longer working. I am in the market for an external one. Will check into what you are talking about. i' am not familiar with any of them. Thank you so much for your help and ideas. and then
[doublepost=1536074904][/doublepost]
The DVD/CD drives in iMacs -do- have a tendency to "get flaky".

Have you tried using a CD "drive cleaner" on it?
Yes, i used a cleaner, and the message I posted is what turns up now. It spits the CD's out now, too. Not sure what it's all about, I will continue to try again, and see if it really is lost.
[doublepost=1536075337][/doublepost]

Never saw this before either. Was using the standaard Burn app that was free for MAC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.