Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichiMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 14, 2012
SoCal
Don't see this covered anywhere else, so I will start it. AW cellular issues:

I have ATT for my new AW SS4. So far, I am underwhelmed. I took it away from home today, leaving behind my iPhone, to see how well it works. Okay, I got plenty of email junk mail. I even made a call to someone in the same room, with no problem. But 2 issues:

1) Raising the watch to my mouth does NOT activate Siri. I still have to push the crown.
2) Even tho it is supposed to be LTE I have not been able to make any calls while driving, so far, in areas where I normally can use my iPhone.

BTW setup was not simple. Using the app it would have charged me $45/month extra. I had to contact ATT twice, to get it set up and connected at the $10/month rate, without degrading my unlimited service. So be careful.

ltrahhh123

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
I’ve been debating returning my aluminum for the SS good and being required to have LTE is the only thing holding me back thus far.

I don’t see myself taking advantage of it too often and would really rather not add $10 a month to my already ridiculous wireless bill.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
Required to have LTE?

Setup was simple for me on At&T, but I just have a regular unlimited family plan.

ltrahhh123

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2018
Required to have LTE?
LTE version of the phone and subsequent data plan for the phone yes.
[doublepost=1537639807][/doublepost]Watch not phone. And if you want to get technical cellular version of the watch. You get what I mean.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
LTE version of the phone and subsequent data plan for the phone yes.
[doublepost=1537639807][/doublepost]Watch not phone. And if you want to get technical cellular version of the watch. You get what I mean.
It sounded like you were implying that cellular service is required on the cellular watch. Perhaps I misunderstood.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
I’ve been thinking of this also. I’ve ordered a cellular S4 but am thinking do I really need it? I ALWAYS have my iPhone with me so what’s the point? May as well save £100/$100 and just get the GPS version.

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
I am likely buying the cellular version simply because I want a stainless steel watch. No plan to activate the cellular, because I am never out and about without my phone. At the same time, paying a premium for a feature I will never use is a bit disheartening – I really wish they would have released a stainless steel model that was GPS only.

M

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
I’ve been debating returning my aluminum for the SS good and being required to have LTE is the only thing holding me back thus far.

I don’t see myself taking advantage of it too often and would really rather not add $10 a month to my already ridiculous wireless bill.
The stainless steel does not require LTE. It’s your choice to activate it or not

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Don't see this covered anywhere else, so I will start it. AW cellular issues:

I have ATT for my new AW SS4. So far, I am underwhelmed. I took it away from home today, leaving behind my iPhone, to see how well it works. Okay, I got plenty of email junk mail. I even made a call to someone in the same room, with no problem. But 2 issues:

1) Raising the watch to my mouth does NOT activate Siri. I still have to push the crown.
2) Even tho it is supposed to be LTE I have not been able to make any calls while driving, so far, in areas where I normally can use my iPhone.

BTW setup was not simple. Using the app it would have charged me $45/month extra. I had to contact ATT twice, to get it set up and connected at the $10/month rate, without degrading my unlimited service. So be careful.
Sounds like an AT&T thing, I activated mine today on my Verizon unlimited account through the App. Took 2 minutes applied my military discount for $8.50/month done and done. I did call in first not knowing about App activation, on hold, transferred, just hung up, then I finally RTFM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.