Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ledlauzis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
localhost
Hey,

I'm having problems with my 2018 iPad Pro 11", which is currently running iPad OS 17.2 Beta. I haven't been able to update to any other version because the OS update just gets stuck, and I need to do a hard restart to get it back working. I believe the problem is with Cellular Data since it fails to update. It also shows a notice that if I proceed with the restore, it won't be able to be activated again because of the Cellular Data problem. I ignored the error, but the update still failed.

Please see the message in the Cellular Settings. There I can't do anything.
The SIM card works fine because I tried it on a different device and used a different SIM with no luck.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Data is backed up, so I can do a hard reset or anything else without risks.
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0285.jpeg

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Those error messages might mean that your iPad needs new settings from your carrier? If you can't update the iPad over Wifi, connect it to a Mac or PC and update it there.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I can’t imagine doing a major update over cellular. You need to find a friend with WiFi!

ledlauzis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
localhost
I am trying to update via Wi-Fi because cellular doesn’t work at all. In doesn’t work with different carriers as well, those carrier settings are not updating regardless of the service. Just throws errors everywhere

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
I am trying to update via Wi-Fi because cellular doesn’t work at all. In doesn’t work with different carriers as well, those carrier settings are not updating regardless of the service. Just throws errors everywhere

‘Do you buy a cellular plan or are you hotspot from your phone. Either way a major update via cellular would be hard if not impossible.

ledlauzis

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
localhost
Just an update if anyone else is experiencing the same problem.

During one of the updates, iPad, activation service, and iPad OS got confused by the version of the device/OS. The only solution was to visit an Apple store, which took them 2 hours to resolve. Complete reinstall and version adjustment on the device and activation servers for the device to syn and make it work again. That was something you can't do on your own at home. I had no idea anything like that could happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.