Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnitch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 26, 2020
I've got an odd one here. I purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro the other day and it arrived today. as expected I was very excited and began to set it up immediately. Directly after I entered wide information and it got connected to the internet, a message popped up with the title "Remote Management" claiming that the device is owned by Nike inc. and email, wireless and other enterprise related items can be downloaded and managed by Nike. Quite strange! I have contacted both Apple and Nike: Currently, both parties are working on solving the problem. Still, I cannot imagine how a certified refurbished Mac can be sold with the connectivity to Nike, as mine has. conversely, I also cannot imagine why Nike would allow a computer to be returned to Apple with its software still on it. I'm not sure if this is a strange one-off problem, or if there are hundreds of former Nike Macbook Pros with the same problem. Anyone have an idea how this happened or how it can be fixed?

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Likely both parties forgot to remove the previous software with a reset. There’s been similar instances in the past, such as when Apple forgot to remove it’s own testing software. Just don’t do anything with the tools you have been given, such as copying them onto a different drive. I’m sure Apple will either ask you to remove the software yourself, or they’ll ask you to return it.

Reactions: Cnitch

Dhock_Holiday

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2019
Looks like the IT guys at Nike are about to get chewed out by HR and upper management. They should have removed the profile and then re-installed macOS before sending the computer back to Apple. Whats even more surprising is that even the technicians at Apple didn't bother reinstalling macOS before shipping it out to you. They should be checking both the hardware and software before a computer is shipped out to a new customer.

Seems like a perfect storm of bad decisions and people not following basic guidelines.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I've got an odd one here. I purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro the other day and it arrived today. as expected I was very excited and began to set it up immediately. Directly after I entered wide information and it got connected to the internet, a message popped up with the title "Remote Management" claiming that the device is owned by Nike inc. and email, wireless and other enterprise related items can be downloaded and managed by Nike. Quite strange! I have contacted both Apple and Nike: Currently, both parties are working on solving the problem. Still, I cannot imagine how a certified refurbished Mac can be sold with the connectivity to Nike, as mine has. conversely, I also cannot imagine why Nike would allow a computer to be returned to Apple with its software still on it. I'm not sure if this is a strange one-off problem, or if there are hundreds of former Nike Macbook Pros with the same problem. Anyone have an idea how this happened or how it can be fixed?
The issue is that Macs require a “signing out” process (there is a support article if you search for “selling a Mac” that outlines the process. Essentially you sign out of your Apple ID and related services.

Most IT departments centrally manage computers, and if some IT tech, perhaps one unfamiliar with Macs, didn’t run the routine correctly, then it might have left their mobile device management software on it. I’m surprised Apple didn’t catch it, though.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
It is hard to understand how Apple could claim to have “refurbished” the machine and not caught that issue.

I would insist on having the replaced by Apple, obviously they did not follow their own guidelines.

Reactions: Cnitch and Aboo

Aboo

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
It is hard to understand how Apple could claim to have “refurbished” the machine and not caught that issue.

I would insist on having the replaced by Apple, obviously they did not follow their own guidelines.

Yes agreed. They should replace this machine for you. This is unacceptable on Apple's part. I would quote their own description of certified refurbished products to them -

"Here’s what you get.
You will receive a “like new” device with genuine Apple replacement parts (as needed) that has been thoroughly cleaned and inspected. Refurbished iOS devices will come with new battery and outer shell. Every device will come with all accessories, cables and operating systems.1 All Apple Certified Refurbished products are packaged in a brand new white box and will be sent to you with free shipping and returns."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.