Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Letsjet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hi all,

I've shot some picts and I have uploaded them to my 17" MBP running 10.5.8

I wanted to clear my card so I could make room for more shots but I started to think about a problem.

I'm using the Mac as storage until I can get back to my xp machine that has my CS sw like photoshop. So my plan is to copy the files from the MBP to the XP machine.

Then I remembered there might be a format issue.

The card is formatted for NTFS (I'm pretty sure...). Are the photos that I moved from the CF card on the MBP still NTFS. Am I going to have issues with moving them to the XP machine?

I have VMware Fusion but I'm not sure what file format is being used.

Thoughts?

Basically it's (Ntfs) CF -> MBP -> XP (Photoshop)

Thanks

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Since you are not sure of the card format, just try loading the card to the Windows box and see what happens? I keep my card formatted by the camera (XSi) and I'm not sure it is OS specific.

Dale

Letsjet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
If my XP machine was with me I would have just loaded / stored the picts on the XP. I'm using the MBP as storage so I can make room on the card for more picts. since I'm on location.

gnd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
At my cat's house
A file is a file, no matter what file system it's residing on. A file doesn't change if you move it to a different file system.

Letsjet

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
lol

What's funny is after rereading my own question I came to the same thought.

I'm in Hawaii doing a shoot and I guess I was just panicked thinking about losing the files.

Too early in the am, I guess....

Thanks!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
As others mentioned, copying files from one system to another will not be dependent on the file system. ***

However your CF card is almost certainly FAT32, not NTFS. Unless Microsoft is making cameras now. :D Heck, even then I can't imagine they'd do something that different.

*** As long as the file's information doesn't depend on info in the resource fork, anyway. Yours won't, don't worry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.