Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
While resisting the urge to go on a rant against CF :)mad:) I could use some advice now that I need to switch from SDHC to CF.

Up until I got my 7D, I was using a SD reader like this...

926667e48de95a7e2323a6638abbfd1680ac2978eec74864fda43b43c6da4945.jpg

So I purchased this one below from my local electronics retailer in hopes of doing something similar with my new CF cards...

product-8165.jpg

Unfortunately, I tried it with my Mac Pro and it doesn't work. No drive mounts.

It's also useless to me because it's too thick to plug into the cursed recessed USB port on my MacBook Air when I'm travelling.

So does anyone have an elegant solution that will work on both my Mac Pro desktop and my MacBook Air?

Cheers!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I suppose you want to be able to travel with it?
This is compact and made by SanDisk, a name you can trust:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDDRX...e=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1269986085&sr=8-47

This is one that may work too and it's another fairly well-known name:
http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-DX-CRMN...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269986044&sr=8-28

Does your card reader say it's UDMA? I think that may be the issue. I have older readers that work just fine. See if Transend's website has a CF reader. One would think they would.

And why the rant over CF? Personally I find SD cards belong in consumer cameras but when you get to the prosumer and pro line, I believe they're all CF.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
You can get a SanDisk one similar to the one jessica mentioned but with a SD slot as well, saving you having to buy a SD reader if your next camera has SD or another device you have does. It's what I use and it read/writes from both cards very quickly.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Or you could just plug your camera into your computer with a USB cable. If it's USB 2.0, I am not sure how much slower it would be than using a card reader (which is also USB).

I am not sure if Canon's pro line mounts as a drive (Nikons don't).

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I suppose you want to be able to travel with it?
This is compact and made by SanDisk, a name you can trust:
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDDRX...e=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1269986085&sr=8-47

This is one that may work too and it's another fairly well-known name:
http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-DX-CRMN...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1269986044&sr=8-28

Does your card reader say it's UDMA? I think that may be the issue. I have older readers that work just fine. See if Transend's website has a CF reader. One would think they would.

And why the rant over CF? Personally I find SD cards belong in consumer cameras but when you get to the prosumer and pro line, I believe they're all CF.

Thanks, I've seen that. It's not as elegant or minimalist, but it may be the only choice that will travel well and work with both the Mac Pro and MBA.

Also, since you asked :)p) I really think CF is a decade past it's prime. It's unnecessarily large, bulky, uses a reader with too many tiny pins prone to getting bent, more expensive for any given capacity (particularly if you want speed) and the speed benefit is really unnecessary and too costly for all but the most super-anxious action shooters who can't wait to fill their frame buffer again. I believe it's also a major inhibitor to pro-sumers who want to upgrade. It's a PITA and an unnecessary added cost. The world doesn't need two digital card mediums, just like it didn't need 3 or 4 or whatever we had 5 years ago. Argh! :eek:

Or you could just plug your camera into your computer with a USB cable. If it's USB 2.0, I am not sure how much slower it would be than using a card reader (which is also USB).

I am not sure if Canon's pro line mounts as a drive (Nikons don't).

No, the Canon doesn't seem to have a mass storage driver or whatever is needed for it to mount as a drive either. This rules out using the in-Camera USB link as I prefer to dump my cards to a DMG file after a day's shooting rather than import them directly into Aperture.

OR you could get a Sandisk FireWire reader!

Sandisk

No FW on my MBA. :(

BTW, thanks to everyone for their suggestions so far. It seems much more difficult than it ought to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.